Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Breechplug For Old Accura

Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Breechplug For Old Accura

About 6 months ago or so, i made a breech plug for my Accura from a grade 8 bolt. It worked good. Ignition of BH209 was 100% reliable in all kind of weather, whether it be sub-zero, near, or much warmer. The other day i checked it out whilst cleaning, and noticed the flash hole had worn to 0.032". Initially it was made to use STS primer, but because i let it get too dirty, the primer seat suffered flame cutting. So i set it up for W209 primer, and drilled the flame channel from 1/8" to 5/32". This worked real good.

At any rate, when i noticed the flash hole had grown from 0.028" to 0.032", i decided to make a new one. The new one has been in service for a couple of days now. It is set up to use STS primer, has a 5/32" flame channel, and a 0.028" flash hole. This morning was beautiful with little breeze. I headed for the hills. The first target was shot at 101 yard.

The rifle was the pictured Accura. The load was 115g BH, pushing a 260g Harvester PT bullet in a short black Harvester sabot. The pictured holes were about the 14th, 15th, and 16th shots through the new plug.

Then the target was left as is, and i moved out to 200 yard, and fired 4 more shots at the same target. The scope was set on about 7 3/4 power, and i used the second dot of the fancy reticle. The 2 shots on the left were the first 2 at 200 yard, and the one on the far right was the third. After the first 2 shots at 200 yard, i was some excited. After the third shot i was sad.

On the way home, i had to brake so i wouldn't hit these critter that ran across the road in front of me.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-01-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thats some nice shooting Ron Im impressed with the 200 yd shots what scope are you using. The pics of the critters are super, beautiful country. My breech plug you made is holding up good but I hardly shoot,I think Ill be able to shoot some next weekend and would love some longer shots with the V1 . Not that I think Id get many shots over 100-125 yds but just curious.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gman57
...............................what scope are you using...............................
The scope is a Leupold ultralight 3x9. It has the pictured reticle. It was set pretty good for dead on at 100 yard using the crosshair, and dead on at 200 yard using the second dot with the power at 7 1/2. However, i moved the scope in the mounts, and now it appear to be shooting some higher. Probably give it a couple clicks down, and see where it ends up. Having a scope like this is new for me; i have four 4X scopes that i normally use on my rifles for hunting. I am strongly leaning to giving this scope a try this next season. Only problem being, i will need to carry a rangefinder.

I have been using this scope whilst walking around in the hills this spring. The plan is to have the rifle be on at 100 yard, so i can try for a turkey. Haven't seen any to shoot at yet, except for them ones that walked behind my target, when i was shooting paper 2 day before season opened. One old boy had a real nice beard.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Spike

Ron i have a accura v1, what would the cost be for one of your breechplugs set up for bh 209?
Old 03-01-2013, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is an ad in classified showing what i can provide. It may not be kosher for me to fully answer your question here. Cost is $35.

Following is a link to the ad.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/muzz...eech-plug.html

Following is a link to a thread showing how you could do the work yourself.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ification.html