Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T7---bh 209

Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Worse?? A muzzleloader complaining about smoke is just wrong.

This is what it's all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq42c...eature=related
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Worse?? A muzzleloader complaining about smoke is just wrong.
And I rest my case.... that is exactly why Hodgdon had to go back in and:

originally when T7 came out, Hodgdon said the same thing - they had to die the powder and add more smoke to make it appear to be more like real black powder.

But todays younger generation really do not care about 'smoke' they care about 'performance' comparable to their CF's..Hence BH-209

but even some of old guys like performance - so I use T7 and you use BH..
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only in an inline, and I really don't like that.

My sidelocks only use Swiss, and is so much more fun to shoot.

I'm so close to selling the Omega.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
And I rest my case.... that is exactly why Hodgdon had to go back in and:

originally when T7 came out, Hodgdon said the same thing - they had to die the powder and add more smoke to make it appear to be more like real black powder.

But todays younger generation really do not care about 'smoke' they care about 'performance' comparable to their CF's..Hence BH-209

but even some of old guys like performance - so I use T7 and you use BH..
Mike, your a old guy?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A muzzleloader complaining about smoke is just wrong.
+1
Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Smokeless powders should always be weighed by weight not volume.

Normally I agree with you on this one. But there is one exception. Alot of peple load Trail Boss by volume. They just dip their case and lop off the excess. Almost the same way some reload BP in BPCR rifles. So maybe Trail Boss is between faster smokeless burning powder and BP subs??

After all most smokeless powder is all the same as far as a basic compound. Mainly the burn rate is adjusterd by the shape of the pwder. Either more or less surface area to regulate the speed of burn. The speed of burn is where the pressure comes from. Just lok at how big the granules are in Trail Boss. Tom.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Mike, your a old guy?
ancient? My history students would always ask if i was here when the dinosaures roamed the earth... but, I told them the truth - "I am not that old"
Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

How about wholly mammoths?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
How about wholly mammoths?
No not Mammoths either, but I did go to mud lake and look for bones... The University of Idaho has dug up a couple from the lake bottom... but I was nothere when they got stuck in the mud and died...
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

HEAD0001

See as progressive as Tom is, he is not totally right with this statement...

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Smokeless powders should always be weighed by weight not volume.

Today Smokeless really no longer means that is it a powder made with a Nitrocellouse base. That is the most generally accepted as meaning that... but two examples of Smokeless powder that do not need to be measured by 'weight'. BH-209 which is a smokeless Nirtro powder - but engineered to meter and match the pressures of real black powder.

In its pure state T7 is a smokeless powder also and it does not require to weighed.

On the other hand Trail Boss is a smokeless Nitro powder, engineered to be bulky and take up about the same space that a volume of BP would occupy. But is is not engineered to be a black powder sub or a direct replacement for BP because it has and uses Progessive Burning. The more pressure it build the greater pressure it can create. In a pistol with a short barrel it has limited time to develope that pressure. It really is not working effeciently in as it could.

IMR... says

Trail Boss is designed specifically for low velocity lead bullet loads suitable for Cowboy Action shooting. It is primarily a pistol powder, but has some application in rifle. It is based on a whole new technology which allows very high loading density, good flow through powder measures, stability in severe temperature variation and most importantly, additional safety to the handloader.
I am not sure they ever thought it sould be loaded by volumn.

Same for:

SR 4759
This bulky handgun powder works great in the magnums, but really shines as a reduced load propellant for rifle cartridges. It's large grain size gives good loading density for reduced loads, enhancing velocity uniformity.

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.