Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Point Of Impact changed due to Bore Cot?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Says when you're ready to shoot ' Go ahead. barrel cot does not have to be removed and doesnt significantly reduce your accuracy.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's a big WOW! Good reporting guys.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never covered my bore with tape or balloons...This includes over 30 years of hunting with flintlocks...

I just don't turn the bore up to the rain, no problem...
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I've never covered my bore with tape or balloons...This includes over 30 years of hunting with flintlocks...

I just don't turn the bore up to the rain, no problem...
Ever shove the muzzle in the snow?

Don't ask me how I know about that.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ever shove the muzzle in the snow?

Don't ask me how I know about that.
Snow creates a much bigger problem for me than rain does... Hunting in knee deep snow with it dropping from everything you touch and hunting in the brush that is covered with snow... even when the ground grass and brush have snow on them... it seems it can find the bore no matter what direction it is pointed... it just not the same as rain...

But, I never slip in the snow either...

Oh! and then there is the fall drop of Larch needles and always in the hunting season... that is a fun one also... Maybe you do not have Larch trees back there in Colorado though.

Just much safer and more comfortable with a covered bore in rotten weather.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
.............................the fall drop of Larch needles.............................
Gosh, what memories came rushing through my brain when i read about Larch. Growing up in Western South Dakota, i had never seen one of them tree. When we moved to Missoula, that first fall was quite an eye opener. Them larch turning golden a way up on them evergreen slopes. I will never forget a friend of mine traveling from Helena, on the east side of the mountains to Missoula on the west side, asking why all them trees were dying. He was a biologist too, and had never seen a conifer turn golden in the fall. Tamarack is what we called them sometimes, or Larch. They made a good firewood too. For some reason, we didn't like hunting where there was a lot of Larch. I don't remember why or what for.

Yup, we always put electricians tape over the end of our barrel in those day. I don't think i have seen a Tamarack/Larch for at least 30 years. Now that i think about it, i haven't seen any of them big Cedar for 30 year either. Wow they grow big around. I imagine there are a lot of Cedar around Moscow. They only seemed to live in far Western Montana.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not familiar with a Larch tree. Does Colorado have them?

Lots of Pine and Aspen here.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

I looked them up. Not something i'd want on my property thats for sure! LOL.

They do look pretty in full color
Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Gosh, what memories came rushing through my brain when i read about Larch. Growing up in Western South Dakota, i had never seen one of them tree. When we moved to Missoula, that first fall was quite an eye opener. Them larch turning golden a way up on them evergreen slopes. I will never forget a friend of mine traveling from Helena, on the east side of the mountains to Missoula on the west side, asking why all them trees were dying. He was a biologist too, and had never seen a conifer turn golden in the fall. Tamarack is what we called them sometimes, or Larch. They made a good firewood too. For some reason, we didn't like hunting where there was a lot of Larch. I don't remember why or what for.
Tamarack/Larch - they serve a multitude of jobs.. form Poles to lumber and pulp and firewood. But they sure are pretty in the fall. The dang needles always fall down the back of my neck and are itchy as heck. Elk love the youg ones - they make excellent whipping boys. The bulls will beat the heck out and eventually just rip them out of the ground, must make them feel real good about themselves...

Here are some memories....

Yup, we always put electricians tape over the end of our barrel in those day. I don't think i have seen a Tamarack/Larch for at least 30 years. Now that i think about it, i haven't seen any of them big Cedar for 30 year either. Wow they grow big around. I imagine there are a lot of Cedar around Moscow. They only seemed to live in far Western Montana.
Cedar grows fairly well around here.

This is thee Giant Red cedar right here in Idaho, near Elk River. I designed and built the deck arounf the tree to protect the roots from compaction... Well actually my trail crew and I built the deck.

Near the small town of Elk River, Idaho is the largest tree in North America east of the Cascade -Sierra Crest. The tree is a Western Red Cedar that is 18 feet in diameter at breast hight and 177 feet tall. The sign near the tree identifies it as the "Giant Cedar" but I have also seen it called the "King Cedar" (that is wrong it is called the Giant Cedar. The king Cedar is only a stump over by Bovil, Idaho. This tree is estimated to be about 3000 years old

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.