Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder testing in bad weather

Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Powder testing in bad weather

May 1st in Northern Wisconsin is no guarantee of sunshine, warm temperatures, and spring flowers. Today was nothing unusual.

Weather: 37 degrees, windy, snow & rain
Distance : 50 yards
Rifle: Traditions Woodsman Hawkins 1-66 twist
Powder: American Pioneer Powder 2f & Goex Black Powder 2f
Projectile: Homecast roundball
Ignition system: #11 cap - Winchester Magnum Caps

There was discussion about American Pioneer Powder failing or having problems while hunting. As I stated in a different forum that I also had some issues with the reliability of American Pioneer Powder. But looking outside today, being May 1st it was a perfect spring day.

There was snow falling and rain in the form of drizzle coming down. Also the temperature while not cold (37º) with the wind and snow was a little uncomfortable outside.

I set the target up at 50 yards. My notes said that the rifle I was going to be testing the powder with liked 100 grains of Goex 2f powder. It also said I had the rifle sighted in at 50 yards. So since the weather was the kind of thing I would experience when hunting, this might be a good test to compare powders.

I started with the Goex 2f powder. The first shot on the clean unfouled bore was low. The next five were pretty good. They were the onces around the bulls eye.

I then swabbed the bore clean with Simple Green. I got clean patches and popped caps until I had burn marks on the dry patch. I then loaded with 100 grains of APP 2f and the roundball. I was amazed at #1 how high the shots from APP hit. Also I was concerned with the group itself. I think I would have to adjust the load a little. The first shot with APP was a hangfire. The second shot was a good solid ignition. The third shot was a misfire with the first two caps. The third cap fired it off. The fourth shot was a hang fire. The fifth shot was a good solid ignition. By hangfire, even though it was a percussion cap there was a definite tick.. boom.

So the question is, did the weather effect the powder. Goex was fine, APP had problems. Or perhaps this rifle just does not like APP powder.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default It's the 2F APP

I won't buy the APP 2F, the granulation is too large and chunky for some sidelocks.
The APP 3F pours much more easily and should also flow into the drum better.
I had an older 1 in 66" Traditions Woodsman Hawken like yours and the drum seemed to have a narrower flash channel to begin with, making the sharp 90 degree turn for the percussion flash that much more difficult.
If the powder is out of reach then the ignition will be hampered.

Last edited by arcticap; 05-01-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

You might be on to something with the shape of that drum. I have noticed that when I shoot black powder the rifle is a dream to shoot. Pyrodex does well also. But APP and triple seven give this rifle fits. I need to try this same test again with a more powder friendly rifle. I have a New Englander that I think would shoot dirt if it were combustible. I even shot pellets with a #11 cap out of that New Englander. So I will try this test all over again. Maybe when the weather gets a little better.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Try the exact same loads when the weather warms up and is dry out. You will then have your answer!