Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega, Rengade, GPR, DeerStalker Showdown

Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega, Rengade, GPR, DeerStalker Showdown

I got the kiddies out to play today! Weather was warm and sunny. Wind variable in direction and strength. 5-10 mph but not steady. It was go around in circles all day and was not steady but gusty. Other than the odd horse fly all was good.

All targets shot at 100 yds off a bench.

The TC Renegade caplock didn't fare out too well. With stock sights I couldn't get enough elevation with the same load I was useing with the DeerStalker. I think I'll put a peep on it and see what happens.

I started out with the Omega. I think it liked the 340 Dead Centers in the breeze today. The Noslers normally shoot real well but not today for some reason.

340Gr Dead Centers, 110 gr T7, Win 209 Primer

300 gr Nosler Partition PP, 110 gr T7, Win 209 Primer

350 gr Hornady Interlock RN w/MMP Orange Sabots, 100 gr 3F Goex, 4F Goex Prime, Lyman DeerStalker Flintlock w/ Lyman Peep Sight w/Fine Peep installed (I REALLY LIKE THIS TARGET!!!)

and finally the Lyman GPR Flintlock, I think the old girl likes 100 gr 3f better.

HA
Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! That's too much gun cleaning for me.I took 2 guns to the range once and I'll never do that again. Good shooting though.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a great time. And that is some excellent shooting there. That Omega with the Dead Centers is amazing.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

pluckit,

Hot soapy water and away I go!!! Oh and pop or two.

cayugad,

The fine peep on the DeerStalker is a huge improvement over the V-Peep on the GPR. It wouldn't be much good hunting but it is great on the targets. I have the stock bead on the DS, I think if it were a blade sight you could really dial it in. Even in a flintlock.

The GPR liked more powder as it settled in nicely when I bumped the load. I think the last time when I was shooting off the sticks I was timing my wobble just right because I couldn't hit dirt with 90 gr today.

Well I'm convinced that flinters can hold their own out there. To 100 yds at least. Now to find a sight for the Renegade caplock. It sort of got embarassed today.

HA
Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

T/C makes a nice peep for the Renegade and Hawkins model rifles. If you like peep sights that it. I had one (sold it) and it made the Renegade a very accurate rifle, both on the range and in the field.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
T/C makes a nice peep for the Renegade and Hawkins model rifles. If you like peep sights that it. I had one (sold it) and it made the Renegade a very accurate rifle, both on the range and in the field.

I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere. I'll have to go rooting for it though. I think I have one for the GPR as well. Always playing and don't know where I put stuff half the time.

HA
Old 04-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

What sabot were you using with those dead centers in the Omega?
Nice shooting

Jason
Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by donjose
What sabot were you using with those dead centers in the Omega?
Nice shooting

Jason
They come with their own sabot from PRBullet.com. They are a Canadian rep for MMP Sabots so I suspect it is a MMP but as to which one?

Maybe one of these three. It has 3 petals and is black.
3Petal-EZ
50 X 451/452Black HPH 3Petal-EZ
240 - 350 Grains250 - 300 Grains50 Cal. Rifle

.451 - .452 BulletBlack HPH/12240 - 350 Grains240 - 300 Grains50 Cal. Rifle

.451 - .452 BulletBlack HPH/24240 - 350 Grains240 - 300 Grains

HA