Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's Try Another One...

Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Let's Try Another One...

Since the other thread has blown up so bad thought I would try another one.

This is purely for information. If you choose not to read it really is not a big deal.

This information was gathered and written by a author that has not stake in the prize. But, when I first found it did peak my interest about the developement of the Lehigh bullet.

These are scanned pictures so you will have to magnify the page to be able to read the article, if you choose to do so.

No-where here am I saying one bullet is better than another I would just like to present some information to those that might be interested.

I hope this works out and you are able to read the information.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't read it.

Tell me what it says?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Can't read it.

Tell me what it says?
Try this... look in the bottom right hand side of window screen... you should see a small magnifying glass icon with a number 100% and left of that number is a down arrow tab.

If you click on that arrow a drop down menu will appear and you can select differenc magnification levels. Click on 150% or 200% that should allow you read the text of the article.

When you are done reading click the down arrow again and choose 100% again to return to normal.

Basically this article explains the development of the bullet by Dave, it started out as a copper bullet and finally moved to the current brass design to acheive the necessay separation. And you can see it started out as a big bore centerfire bullet. It was later adapted to big bore ML... Other bullets are shown in the testing process.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know how to expand a page, but on my screen I can only expand so much and it gets blurry.

I saw a picture of a Barnes bullet. I thought maybe it compared?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I know how to expand a page, but on my screen I can only expand so much and it gets blurry.

I saw a picture of a Barnes bullet. I thought maybe it compared?
The author did do some comparison testing in the article, the Barnes is only one of the bullets that he used in the comparison.

I should really say the article was written about the .500 Cyrus gun but in the developement of that gun the rifle maker looked for the ideal bullet from his gun.

If you want to PM your email address to me I can send you the article in Word format and it magifies in that form much better.

If I summerize the article it might be assumed by some that I am biased... of course I am, so I would like you guys to review it and make your own decisions. I just wish I still had the magazine. I wonder if I could pull up that article on line???? gotta go look.

mike

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-28-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Pete, I do have one question. I know all bullets have a range in velocity at impact at which they perform the best. Do you know what that range would be with the Lehighs?
Thanks, Art
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Hi Pete, I do have one question. I know all bullets have a range in velocity at impact at which they perform the best. Do you know what that range would be with the Lehighs?
Thanks, Art
Great question and I can not give that exact answer right off the top of my head, althought at one time I knew the answer.

I believe Dave can build the nose of the bullet to match a range of velocities that the bullet may be subjected to, as a matter of getting the best Terminal Performance. So with that in mind the optimum velocities ranges for the 250 - 275 -300 may be different for each bullet.

The 40-200 that I used last season was a great test for that bullet. I shot a whitetail through the chest cavity @ 180 yards. It left the barrel right at 2200 fps and according to the ballistic tables it would be going about 1475 fps at that distance. It worked great. Two nice neat holes in and out and one heck of dark red pudding mix in the cavity. Part of the heart did survive but everything else was mush.

I no this doesn't answer you question specifically but I know it is computed in the design process of the bullet.

I will try to get the specific information from Dave.

mike
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Since I shoot at lower velocities than a lot of you I am mainly interested in how slow the bullet can travel and still perform.
Art
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flounder33
Thanks, Since I shoot at lower velocities than a lot of you I am mainly interested in how slow the bullet can travel and still perform.
Art
One thing I forgot to say... there probably are two sets of velocities... 1. being the velocities that the petals will performed as designed and 2. if the bullet is at a reduced velocity the nose still opens to some degree, it just will not have enough velocity to break them off and allow them fly outward. With a reduced velocity and the nose opening partially the bullet then operates somewhat like a normal mushrooming bullet.

does that make some sense?

pete
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you know you can read GUNS magazine's digital editions on-line?

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/digital-editions/

Unfortunately, that issue is not available.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-28-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.