Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's Try Another One...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Thanks, Since I shoot at lower velocities than a lot of you I am mainly interested in how slow the bullet can travel and still perform.
Art
The petals will sheer at 900 fps and faster. When the bullet slows to say 400 fps it works like a mushrooming bullet. The bullet just mushrooms and expands like others.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Did you know you can read GUNS magazine's digital editions on-line?

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/digital-editions/

Unfortunately, that issue is not available.
Thanks for the link Semisane.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Did you know you can read GUNS magazine's digital editions on-line?

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/digital-editions/

Unfortunately, that issue is not available.
Thanks Semi, that is exactly what I found since it is not a regular edition of the magazine
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Great question and I can not give that exact answer right off the top of my head, althought at one time I knew the answer.

I believe Dave can build the nose of the bullet to match a range of velocities that the bullet may be subjected to, as a matter of getting the best Terminal Performance. So with that in mind the optimum velocities ranges for the 250 - 275 -300 may be different for each bullet.

The 40-200 that I used last season was a great test for that bullet. I shot a whitetail through the chest cavity @ 180 yards. It left the barrel right at 2200 fps and according to the ballistic tables it would be going about 1475 fps at that distance. It worked great. Two nice neat holes in and out and one heck of dark red pudding mix in the cavity. Part of the heart did survive but everything else was mush.

I no this doesn't answer you question specifically but I know it is computed in the design process of the bullet.

I will try to get the specific information from Dave.

mike
After reading the data you supplied it just confirmed what was obvious to myself and many others already.since the petals break free from the bullet almost immediately on impact, what remains is a slug that is whatever dia the particular bullet happens to be that your using. hence the deeper penetration. totally understandable, and a top notch bullet by the way.other top notch bullets such as a nosler partition or Banes do not lose the petals, but in fact open up larger than the actual bullets dia, and yes they will not penetrate as far as the Lehigh. but IMHO actual do more damage while in the body cavity, due to this larger surface area, which is still cutting up internal organs while it's inside.i also feel the larger surface area causes more shock and trauma(simple physics).all that being said, all of the bullets i mentioned are at the top of the heap.and should be considered by anyone looking for premium bullets.by every thing i have seen, the Lehigh bullet does not do any more internal damage than the bullets mentioned here.it may exit more often than the others, due to it's design.but that's about it. are any of these bullets the best? in there own unique ways i suppose they are.Lehigh didn't reinvent the bullet with this design. but they did design a darn and awful expensive one to boot Ray
Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flounder33
Hi Pete, I do have one question. I know all bullets have a range in velocity at impact at which they perform the best. Do you know what that range would be with the Lehighs?
Thanks, Art
I just got back. Good to see you got the answer. I don't shoot the Lehigh. I'm happy with the Thor bullets.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
After reading the data you supplied it just confirmed what was obvious to myself and many others already.since the petals break free from the bullet almost immediately on impact, what remains is a slug that is whatever dia the particular bullet happens to be that your using.
Ray, I think you might have a misunderstanding, the petals do not break free or even really begin to open until the bullet nose in a fluid medium. If you were to shoot this bullet into an elk through the shoulder bone the bullet would not really start expanding until it clears the hide, bone, muscle the enters the fluid medium of the chest cavity. Once in the chest the petals expand rapidly to the point then they break off and radiate outward. Even that does not occur immediately upon entering the chest cavity. Further the petals are so light they do not carry enough energy with them to pentetrate anything other than organ tissue. Once they contact muscle tissues forward progress stops almost immediately.

One video shows this action very distinctly. They have placed glass from a car windshield in front of the jell medium. The medium is not touching the glass but a few inches away from the the glass. Then to increase the degree of difficulty the glass shatter proof winsheild glass is placed on a 45* angle, which really, and often does cause a degree of deflection in copper/lead bullets, should have caused the bullet to veer off course some degree, which in the case of the Lehigh it did not it continued striaght into the medium. As it leaves the glas you can see the bullet has not began to expand in fact you can see the the nose is somewhat damaged, but as soon as it hits the liquid medium the expansion process begins and you can see a petal come out of the top of the block. As you watch the expansion (hydraulic movement and swelling of the block) you can imagine the shock, stress, and rupture that is going on. This video was especially shot to show the Lehigh nose will not expand going through a solid or semi solid object like hide or bone.

hence the deeper penetration. totally understandable, and a top notch bullet by the way.other top notch bullets such as a nosler partition or Banes do not lose the petals, but in fact open up larger than the actual bullets dia, and yes they will not penetrate as far as the Lehigh. but IMHO actual do more damage while in the body cavity, due to this larger surface area, which is still cutting up internal organs while it's inside.i also feel the larger surface area causes more shock and trauma(simple physics).all that being said, all of the bullets
I believe and this 3rd party article will confrm that your point may not be correct. Do not get me wrong i shot Nosler's for years and very much respect what they will do and have done. But in my limited experiance using the Lehigh the damage or wound channel in the cavity is significantly larger, and more importantly cause more immediate trama to the animal.

This new theory, and it really is not new - Europeans have been using it for years, is really hard for us conventional mushrooming bullet folks to handle - it did not and i did not want to believe it either. It took a lot of experimentation and investigation on my part to trust it enough to try it.

i mentioned are at the top of the heap.and should be considered by anyone looking for premium bullets.by every thing i have seen, the Lehigh bullet does not do any more internal damage than the bullets mentioned here.it may exit more often than the others, due to it's design.but that's about it. are any of these bullets the best?
Only to those that believe which ever bullet they choose to be the best well that is their best...

in there own unique ways i suppose they are.Lehigh didn't reinvent the bullet with this design. but they did design a darn and awful expensive one to boot Ray
When you say expensive remember the price you see includes shipping from Lehigh. If you were buying Nosler's at their regular price they would be very comparable.

I think I can also tell the Lehigh has really impressed the American Military and other Government agencies. Might take a look at the Lehigh Defense web site. They are rebuilding it so it is not complete yet.

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-28-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I just got back. Good to see you got the answer. I don't shoot the Lehigh. I'm happy with the Thor bullets.
In Colorado, I can totally understand that. I wish your bore on that Omega was a little larger I would send you a couple of Lehigh sabotless, they are not in production yet as Dave has only begun the experimental process of developing them.

Last edited by sabotloader; 04-28-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ray that is incorrect, the petal do not break free or even really
begin to open until the bullet nose in a fluid medium. If you were to shoot this bullet into an elk through the shoulder bone the bullet would not really start expanding until it clears the hide, bone, muscle the enters the fluid medium of the chest cavity. Once in the chest the petals expand rapidly to the point then they break off and radiate outward. Even that does not occur immediately upon entering the chest cavity. Further the petals are so light they do not carry enough energy with them to pentetrate anything other than organ tissue. Once they contact muscle tissues forward progress stops almost immediately.

One video shows this action very distinctly. They have placed glass from a car windshield in front of the jell medium. The medium is not touching the glass but a few inches away from the the glass. Then to increase the degree of difficulty the glass shatter proof winsheild glass is placed on a 45* angle, which really, and often does cause a degree of deflection in copper/lead bullets, should have caused the bullet to veer off course some degree, which in the case of the Lehigh it did not it continued striaght into the medium. As it leaves the glas you can see the bullet has not began to expand in fact you can see the the nose is somewhat damaged, but as soon as it hits the liquid medium the expansion process begins and you can see a petal come out of the top of the block. As you watch the expansion (hydraulic movement and swelling of the block) you can imagine the shock, stress, and rupture that is going on. This video was especially shot to show the Lehigh nose will not expand going through a solid or semi solid object like hide or bone.

I believe and this 3rd article will confrm it you are incorrect on this point also. Do not get me wrong i shot Nosler's for years and very much respect what they will do and have done. But in my limited experiance using the Lehigh the damage or wound channel in the cavity is significantly larger.

This new theory, and it really is not new - Europeans have been using it for years, is really hard for us conventional mushrooming bullet folks to handle - it did not and i did not want to believe it either. It took a lot of experimentation and investigation on my part to trust it enough to try it.

Only to those that believe which ever bullet they choose to be the best well that is their best...

When you say expensive remember the price you see includes shipping from Lehigh. If you were buying Nosler's at their regular price they would be very comparable.

I think I can also tell the Lehigh has really impressed the American Military and other Government agencies. Might take a look at the Lehigh Defense web site. They are rebuilding it so it is not complete yet.
My friend, we both agree to disagree and that is fine with me lol. one thing i and you alike know for certain.whatever animal hit by any of those bullets placed in the proper spot is DRT,finished and ain't going nowhere.i'm not going to spat with you over the finer details.we both presented our feelings on the subject in a civil manner.as i have said many times, it's a good quality bullet.NUFF SAID! Ray
Old 04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

What size does my bore need to be? I think it's pretty average right now.

What size are the bore size bullets?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What size does my bore need to be? I think it's pretty average right now.

What size are the bore size bullets?
They are .504... They work very well in my White 504 Umag and are tight in the MK 85.

I have not even tried one in a Knight DISC and I know they would not make it down my Omega or Truimph.

Hopefully we will get back to them early this spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.