Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stop!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stop!

I think everyone needs to go out and put some holes in targets and post the results. Take your favorite, or new, gun and your favorite, or new load and go do some shooting. Then post the results for some interesting and informative reading and stop all the crap, PLEASE?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Smile

Hey pluck! that sounds like a good idea.The winds too high to shoot here.The weather is probably the reason some of these guys are inside ,and throwing pillows and hair curlers at each other!!!YOU GIRLS CUT THAT OUT ,NOW!!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take your favorite, or new, gun and your favorite, or new load and go do some shooting. Then post the results for some interesting and informative reading

Bingo! We have a winner.

Those cat fights are boring, boring, boring.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the weather cooperates on Friday I'll be going to the range to shoot my Pursuit some more. That thing is really surprizing me. Unfortunately I'm out of Pyrodex Pellets and Bass Pro wanted $28.00 for a box of them. Heck, they only wanted $31.00 for a can of Blackhorn. So I'll have to see if I can get something going with Pyrodex loose. I had 2 holes touching and lost the third shot on my last target during my last outing using Pyrodex loose. So I have to see if I can get something going with the loose or if it was just a fluke.

Last edited by pluckit; 04-27-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I just got a 30 pack of 250gr Traditions Smackdown SST's in the mail today from a friend. Time to break the .50 out and see how they fly with the supplied MMP 3 petal yellow sabot. Might have to switch to Harvester smooths though. If it ain't raining tomorrow the lead will be flying.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read somewhere that one of the best bullet sabot combo's to shoot out of your gun are the ones made by the gun manufacturer. I've been eye balling those bullets for my Pursuit.
I'll be interested in seeing your results.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like I'll get a chance to go to the hunting lease this weekend. Thinking about taking the Rescued Remington along and giving it a workout with some 300 grain Deep Curls.

I haven't shot it since January after putting a scope on it (the iron sights were useless to me). That was a short 25-shot range session. But the final target looked real promising.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Looks like I'll get a chance to go to the hunting lease this weekend. Thinking about taking the Rescued Remington along and giving it a workout with some 300 grain Deep Curls.

I haven't shot it since January after putting a scope on it (the iron sights were useless to me). That was a short 25-shot range session. But the final target looked real promising.

SEMI, i cant seem to get the 300 gr DC's to shoot out of the Triumph. but i am taking the .50 Wolverine out again with the75 grs pyro and the 460 NE's.it's shooting good at 50 yds. adjust the peep sight and try it at 100 yds.dam shooting big lead is fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The other day the weather was not all that great, but I wanted to shoot. So I decided to shoot my White Bison. The Bison is a .504 caliber and I was shooting 460 grain .503 diameter NE conical bullets out of it with 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I was trying out these new Winchester #11 caps. After looking close at them I think they are nothing more then a CCI Magnum, but they worked great.

I knew the rifle was sighted in somewhere around 50 yards. It wears a 4x32mm Simmons Pro Diamond Scope. So its not like it has expensive glass on it. But it is a tree stand rifle for me and shots are going to be 50 yards at best back in the tag alder and cedar bogs.

So I set the target out at 50 yards to test it first. I had used Bore Conditioner on it. So I just took a clean dry patch and wiped the bore out. No alcohol at all. That is what the instructions say to do.

Shot #1 was in the red but a little to the left. It kind of surprised me actually being that far out. But I then shot 2-4 at 50 yards and it seemed to be acting better.

I was aiming dead center on that red circle, and I was curious about just how much of a drop would really happen at different distance, without a hold over. So I walked it back to 70 yards and shot 5-7. The shots dropped about an inch and a half approximately. Had I been aiming for a high or mid high shoulder shot they would have still been fine in the kill zone.

I then walked the target back to 85 yards and fire two rounds. I know two rounds is not hardly a group, but I was just curious about where they were hitting. And again, had I been shooting a high shoulder shot on a deer the drop was about four inches.. So a person should pay attention. After checking my hits I figured.. what the heck

I moved it back to 90 yards. My aiming point is not in that picture but it was a group of four holes about five inches over the center of that red bull. So I aimed on that and shot three... just to see if I could hit that red bull using a hold over. 10-12 was the results. I was very pleased.

I want to add.. that Simmons scope is something. While it is not expensive, that thing really takes a beating from that rifle and never seems to give up. One of these days.. I WILL BREAK THAT SCOPE!!

Then to get something interesting.. I found a chunk of lead pipe about four inches tall and two inch pipe. My rifles had cut that off my steel back strap from constant pounding in one spot. So I marched that back to 102 yards and set it up in front of my Spruce blocks so I would be able to see it back there in the woods.

At the shooting stand I could make out that pipe pretty good with that 4x scope. I guessed the hold over and picked a spot on the Spruce block, just like I would on a deer were I shooting at it that far, took a good breath. I exhaled half the air and let my finger tickle the trigger. That Bison went BOOM and looking through the scope I thought I could still see it, but it was on its side now. So I figured... hit next to it and knocked it over. So I loaded up again and shot... still on its side. So I set the rifle up and walked down there. What I thought was on its side was a patch of sun shine from were one of the blocks rolled off the other to allow light to pass through. The first shot was gold. But I looked for over ten minutes and where that small chunk of pipe went to... anyone's guess. I am sure I will find it in the grass back there some day.

Then back to the house for some old grapefruit in the refrigerator... back out to the Spruce Blocks.. and we went four for four on them. Do they explode nice from a No Excuses conical bullet... Lots of fun.

And I should point out.. a very little crud ring shooting the Triple Seven 2f in that rifle. Whether its the #11 caps, the breech plug or why... no reason. But I shot over 20 rounds that day and only swabbed once because I thought I should.. not because I really had to.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Dave its looks like you got close enough to make that target bleed!
I guess I'm gonna go out tomorrow. I need to punch some holes. Have a few errands in the AM but will load up and go.
I've been wanting to try my hand at some off hand shots with a clean barrel ever since the earlier post. And I think tomorrow will be the day.
Wlill use my T/C Hawken 45 cal perc. and Customs stocked Hawken 50 cal perc.
And as long as I am getting my barrels dirty I will play with my sleeve barreled Hawken flinter to work up a load for it.
Ahhh yes - spring is in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.