Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning a poor barrel

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default cleaning a poor barrel

I got a 50 cal tc new englander used for a couple hundred and plan to hunt it so I wasn't too worried about some pitting i seen around the nipple and at the end of the barrel guy said it shoots well and seens it does, I've cleaned it when I got it and it wasn't cleaned great I shot it friday and cleaned it again, but it don't seem to clean up I used boiling water and soap then bore cleaner 13 looks like it'll take the whole bottle of cleaner and patches I've put 25 patches or more allready and after putting a wirebrush down the barrel its dirty....is there a better way to clean it? should I use regular gun bore cleaner and start over with the seasoning of the barrel thanks for any tips...I haven't seen any rust come out thanks ed
Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

He probably used bore butter, Boiling water with a bit of detergent in it put the breach end of the barrel right in the bucket [do take it out of the gun first] and pump it with a tight patch. if its real bad you may have to do it twice and every time you shoot it for a while.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

are your patches more brown than black? if your using boiling hot water and not following with alcohol and dry patches and oil you could be flash rusting. i only clean with warm water and dump denature or 91% alcohol down the barrel dry patch and then oil. if its black gunk it might be a mix of powder and petroleum oils. might have to break out the hoppes cleaner then go to soap.i dont believe on the seasoning thing. good luck with it. my favorite load for that gun is 70 grains pyrodex and 370 maxi balls.

Last edited by liquidorange; 04-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

JB's might help get it cleaned. I would try that and then maybe try some T17 Foam. Spray it in the barrel and let it soak. If you do those two things it should come clean.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the rifle wasn't thoroughly cleaned and bore butter applied time and again, you may be getting residue from a long time buildup of lead in the rifling. I would also suggest using theJB compound then a good lead removing solvent. Once you get her all cleaned up give it a light coat of Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner or a quality gun oil.
Then before shooting, swab the bore with a dry patch. One other thing I just thought of. You may want to get a breech scraper. This is simply a brass rod attachment with a rounded tip that scrapes residue out of the breech area.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Souds like you have scrubbed and cleaned the bore, but are still removing residue/rust. Try good old fahioned Hoppe's # 9. Swab the bore with a saturated patch, then a dry one. Do this several times. Next, Run a saturated patch down the bore, and let it set overnight. This will dissolve lead, copper, crud, etc. Next day run a dry patch thru. You may have to do this for several nights, but it works. Forget about the "seasoning". This is nothing but a marketing ploy to sell Bore Butter, which IMHO is the worst thing you can use to prevent rust, and corrosion.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the help, I'll brush it and boiling water and soap it again....clean it again...I got the t17 foam (use it in a inline I got) I try that 2nd and them end up useing the hoppe's if all fails....I quess alot of people don't beleive in the seasoning thing..interesting, thanks ed
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seasoning worked on the old barrels that were cast iron. Just like grandmas skillet.

Modern steel barrels won't season. You can coat them with different products, but lubes and oils won't season them. I'm surprised TC pushed this. Good sales pitch for Bore Butter.