Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester 260g PT Gold

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harvester 260g PT Gold

A while ago, the supermarket quit carrying the juice jugs i had been using to compare bullets. At that time i had tested, i think, 9 different bullets. I wanted to do more comparison tests, but was unable to purchase the jugs. Then one day last month wife informed me that them juice jugs were available again, and she brought several home. This was good news to me because i like being able to compare bullets using the same load, same distance, and same media. I like it when one can collect numbers during testing. These numbers tend to render opinions moot.

This morning i was able to test the 260g PT bullet in the same exact jugs, using the same exact load, at the same exact distance, as was used to test most of the other bullets. Six juice jugs. 105g BH209. 14 yard.

Them are stills taken from this video.

Here are some pictures of the scene afterward.

It appeared the bullet ended up at the bottom of the 5th jug shown here:

But it turned out that the bullet was no longer one bullet. Also, one can see part of the copper coating has peeled away from the base of the bullet. It appears the bullet split up in the third jug and two smaller pieces stayed in the fourth jug, while the larger piece went on to the fifth jug, and stayed there even though there was an in and an out hole in the fifth jug.

The largest piece, or perhaps it should be called the remaining bullet weighs 144g, and the total weight of the 3 bullet pieces is 180.5g.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Ron, what is your opinion of the bullet as far as a hunting bullet? Good or bad?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

If them jugs were a deer it would be laying there dead IMO.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if it was an elk?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogo
Ron, what is your opinion of the bullet as far as a hunting bullet? Good or bad?
My opinion is that my opinion is irrelevant. I am the mechanic that did the data collection. However, i can relate these facts: The same exact test was done with a 300g XTP. It was found in the third jug with the lead separated from the jacket. It weighed 250g when found. Many many many deers have been killed by XTP bullets.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you ever tested a Thor Ron?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What if it was an elk?
The video of the 300g Partition may lead one to try them on elk. Especially since they are nearly the same price as the PT bullet, when purchased at Wideners

The results from the Socom should be quite similar to what a Thor would do.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I shouldn't have to question the performance of Thor/Barnes bullets. I know they perform well.

I just wish they were a bit cheaper so I could shoot them more.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The video of the 300g Partition may lead one to try them on elk. Especially since they are nearly the same price as the PT bullet, when purchased at Wideners
I can attest to ron's conclusion by showing the real thing recovered from an elk - no water jugs involved...

This is a picture of a Recovered 300 grain Nosler from an Elk... I actually thought it was a complete pass through but I found it in the off side leg lodged up against the upper big bone..

This is the animal it was recovered from..

Same with this Nosler 260... Recovered from a stump after passing through a nice little buck.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

I was just curious about Ron's opinion. I have used PT Golds for 3 years now and the last 5 deer I killed with them did not offer any complaints at all. They work fine for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.