Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

100 yd Flintlock Snipeing

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Yesterday I was shooting my Lyman .54 caliber Flintlock Trade Rifle (among others) and the range was 75 yards. My target was a white board with a spray painted red dot in the center. I too use a 6 o'clock hold. They Lyman likes 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched ball with moose milk lube. I was surprised at how accurate the thing really is at that distance.

I have been shooting a lot of flintlock rifles this week. A couple of Lyman's, a couple Thompson Centers, and even a traditions woodsman flinter I have. But I can not stress the need to follow through your shot. When that rifle goes off, I still do not move. I stay on that gun, look through the smoke, until I am sure its hit the target and the smoke is blowing off.

Personally from shooting sticks at that distance.. good shooting. Its nice to know you can shoot that far. Now just keep shooting.

With the melt off here, I can finally get some distance to shoot. The bench is no longer frozen to the ground!!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Yesterday I was shooting my Lyman .54 caliber Flintlock Trade Rifle (among others) and the range was 75 yards. My target was a white board with a spray painted red dot in the center. I too use a 6 o'clock hold. They Lyman likes 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched ball with moose milk lube. I was surprised at how accurate the thing really is at that distance.

I have been shooting a lot of flintlock rifles this week. A couple of Lyman's, a couple Thompson Centers, and even a traditions woodsman flinter I have. But I can not stress the need to follow through your shot. When that rifle goes off, I still do not move. I stay on that gun, look through the smoke, until I am sure its hit the target and the smoke is blowing off.

Personally from shooting sticks at that distance.. good shooting. Its nice to know you can shoot that far. Now just keep shooting.

With the melt off here, I can finally get some distance to shoot. The bench is no longer frozen to the ground!!
I really thought I was holding my sight picture but I guess I'll have to work on it some more. It's pretty cool to do that with a flintlock. We still have snow here as well but it's supposed to rain all week and that should put a good beating on it. Then it will be black fly and skeeter season.

HA
Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Now after seeing your post, I just got to get out there and try that myself. Would a standard sized white paper plate be the same size? I think I will use the Trade Rifle and then try the Traditions Flintlock as well. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Now after seeing your post, I just got to get out there and try that myself. Would a standard sized white paper plate be the same size? I think I will use the Trade Rifle and then try the Traditions Flintlock as well. Thanks for the great idea.
Yes they're just a standard 9 inch (edge to edge) plate. Right about the size of a kill zone on a whitetail.

HA