Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help Me Choose A Scope

Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BHunter32
I just got my new tc prohunter endeavor yesterday in stainless, and want some suggestions for a scope. I want a variable scope in matching stainless and stainless rings as well. Also the matching stainless scope base mount. If anyone can give me some suggestions I would really appreciate it? I am leaning in the direction of leupolds or nikons. Thanks.
This is available over on Modern Muzzleloader....

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...ic.php?t=19850

brand new Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 scope

$200US plus shipping

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

My experience with expensive scopes is limited for muzzleloader. It have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 that is just outstanding. I does not have the BDC and that is fine with me. I had that BDC on a Redfield many years ago and discovered.. I never used it. I learned my rifle and the hold over and just shot that way. BUT if the BDC is something your interested in, then by all means use it.

The other really great scope in my arsenal is a Bushnell 3200. All I can say is WOW!! Great glass, the rainguard makes it fantastic in the snow storms where I hunt, focus is fast and clear, and it had never moved off mark. Again this does not have the drop compensator. Again.. that's my choice.

A inexpensive scope that I can not say enough good things about is the Nikon Pro Staff. I have four of them on rifles. I like the 2-7x32mm model with the great eye relief. They gather light excellent, they are tough as nails, great glass and do not break the bank. Actually I flat out like that scope. On a muzzleloader shooting out to 150 yards.. I don't think you'd have any problems. I never take running shots and I am certain before I pull the trigger. With any of the three mentioned you could not go wrong.

For cheap scopes, the Simmons line have some really tough scopes, and so does Bushnell. I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm on my Black Diamond. I remember one deer season standing there talking to hunters and one noticed I had a scoped muzzleloader instead of a modern rifle. He asked if he could look at my rifle, and I had no objections. When he looked through that $70.00 Dusk to Dawn scope, he comments on what a excellent scope that was. When I told him what I paid for it, he could not believe a scope that cheap was that clear.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are adamant about wanting a silver scope, I can't really help you, but I think you are limiting your options.

If you are willing to consider a black scope, for any budget up to $200, it's a no-brainer.

Vortex Viper 2-7x32.

Why? See here and here.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
If you are adamant about wanting a silver scope, I can't really help you, but I think you are limiting your options.

If you are willing to consider a black scope, for any budget up to $200, it's a no-brainer.

Vortex Viper 2-7x32.

Why? See here and here.
If ther scope optics are anything like there bino's. that price is a steal, especially for vipers. also there warranty is 2 nd to none.my $200.00 pair of 8x42 diamond backs shipped to my door, are excellent glass and the build quality is also 2 nd to none.there scopes and binos are very popular out west in cali,washington and oregon.Ray