Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help Me Choose A Scope

Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a photo of my endeavor with a 3x9x40 Redfield Revolution scope with BDC. I am real happy with the scope and I do have a Nikon prostaff in silver also but like Omega 45 says, the silver really doesn't match that well. I think it looks just fine with the black scope. The prostaff is a very fine scope also.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an Endeavor which is an other version of the prohunter, I tried several scopes and I ended up with the Nikon Omega, I like to do considerable extreme range shooting and for me with the loads I use the 5 inch eye relief and the circle yardage system works very well, relating to the circle system and using it in a way that lets you see what you are shooting at instead of covering it up works best for me.
You will have to determine what works best for you.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Omegasmoke,

Nice stock and forend!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I thought, but do not know for sure, Indiana was fairly flat with large cultivated fields. When you are hunting around those fields you can get some quite lengthy shots...
OK, Sabotloader, even at 150 yds a BDC scope isn't necessary and i seriously doubt he will ever go beyond that.now out west here and where you live, i feel the BDC may be a good idea for some folks.for the vast majority of M/L hunters and center fire hunters a BDC isn't necessary, it's another whiz bang product IMHO.sight the rifle to be dead on at 150 yds with any decent quality scope and go hunting.. Ray
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
OK, Sabotloader, even at 150 yds a BDC scope isn't necessary and i seriously doubt he will ever go beyond that.
I am not sure because there really could be some longer range shots in the midwest. We have one member on the forum that shoot 300 yards even 400 yards back there with an Omega and Tactical scope. He is shooting 40 cal SST/SW. Really am not saying that is anything I could do but really saying is that depending on the bullet being used a BR is sometimes very useful, once you learn how to use it.

now out west here and where you live, i feel the BDC may be a good idea for some folks.for the vast majority of M/L hunters and center fire hunters a BDC isn't necessary,
I am not sure about that for myself with a ML I think I prefer to hve one of a 50 cal ML when I might be shooting 260-300 grain bullets to 200 yards. I have sat that as my max with a ML. Last years deer was 197 yards but it was a direct hold on the cross-hair as the scope was sighted in with a 6" PBR... Shooting a 45 with a Lehigh 40-200 grain bullet ranger is extended to almost 200 yards.

Agree with you centerfire thought, I do not use a BR on either the 270 or the 300 Win Mag.

it's another whiz bang product IMHO.sight the rifle to be dead on at 150 yds with any decent quality scope and go hunting.. Ray
Certainly works for a lot of folks but a lot is dependent on bullet weight and powder charge.

I just feel the BR gives a bit of an advantage in longer range shots when you learn to use the BR with your load and projectile. Certainly do not depend on what the company might say the lines indicate for what ever bullet and powder load they might choose. One other use for them, the marking can be used a rude and crude range finder.

Isn't Indiana fairly flat and with a lot of farm country? I have been east of Denver in that direction... the Navy took me half way around the world the other way though.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

I would also give the Vortex line a look. The Diamondback in a 3x9x40 is a great choice and the Viper in a 2x7 is also very good for muzzleloading.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

BDC reticles take away all the guess work. A little time on the range, you can have your ML dead on from 25 to 300yds.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

i use tacso scopes target and varmint 2.5-10 +42 mil dot have used this scope for 20+ years on my mzs and have stade right on for years you have to find point of inpack it will not be 200 250 300 it may be 180,230,310 its the load you use powder and bullet and the droup on the bullet you have to shot your gun to know were its inpack point is this is the only way you will no and stay with that load no if ands or buts

Last edited by a1smokepole; 04-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I would also give the Vortex line a look. The Diamondback in a 3x9x40 is a great choice and the Viper in a 2x7 is also very good for muzzleloading.
I shopped for binos for quite some time and after hours of reading reviews and such, chose 8x42 vortex diamondback binos. i paid $200.00 shipped to my door and all i can tell anyone who's buys there products is WOW! i have looked through glass costing up to $800.00 from other quality optic company's and Vortex 8x42 binos are every bit as good in every department.and there no questions asked warranty, which is exactly like Leuipolds is a fantastic feature. i have heard there scopes are every bit as good with the same warranty.Ray
Old 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
BDC reticles take away all the guess work. A little time on the range, you can have your ML dead on from 25 to 300yds.
i'll say it again, for the vast majority of M/L hunters with the ranges they shoot,there just not necessary.a m/L sighted in dead on at 125 -150 yds will cover probably 80% or more of the M/L hunters in this country.pretty much, point and shoot..Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.