Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf QRPB's on sale

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
................What is a "QRPB" ? .........
Screwbolts

Pictured on the left is a QRBP. Pictured on the right is the QRBP i use in my rifle. It has a Lehigh ventliner installed. A homemade ventliner made from a 18-8 stainless 10-32 x 3/8" flat head cap screw is on the right. The flash hole was made by using a cobalt #70 drill. The QRBP on the left may or may not ignite BH209 reliably. The QRBP i use, has ignited BH successfully a few hundred times in all kind of weather, whether dirty or clean This shooting was done with a homemade ventliner installed that had a flash hole made by a #69 drill. This flash hole in this original ventliner, has now grown 0.001" inch larger.

The rim on each breech plug is individually fitted to a single rifle, by using a provided 'tool', and makes a 'perfect' seal. When the plug is in good condition, this 'seal' allows zero blow by. In my rifle the plug installs and removes without tools. No lube, or anti-seize is used, and the plug never sticks. Only BH209 powder has been used in my rifle. When it comes to installation, and removal, and cleanliness, the QRBP is virtually 'perfect'.

Pictured is the 'tool' used to fit the QRBP to a rifle. It is used but once, then is never needed again. The slot in the top of the plugs, receives the end of the tool, and allows one to force the rim of the plug to conform to the barrel. This results in a perfect seal.

If you look closely at my plug, you can see the threads of a grade 8 bolt, that was installed to provide a new primer pocket. The idea to do this fix, and technique were suggested by Screwbolts. This was done, because i continued using the plug when the flame channel was nearly plugged. The plug continued to ignite BH, but flame cutting of the primer seat occurred. To cure the resulting blow by around the primer, a new seat was required. At the time the primer pocket was drilled, headspace was adjusted so the fit in my rifle is perfect using STS primer.

Pictured is the QRBP, and a more better QRBP developed by Western Powders, and the TC Speed Breech. Note the design of the Western Powder plug, which results in reliable ignition of BH209.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Ron, I do know what a QRBP is, but as of the time that I write this, MountainDevel54 has yet to correct his title or of " QRPB " . It baffles me how how he could give me a definition to something different than what he wrote.

The P and B are reversed, but in his prof reading he must have missed it. Oh Well, who cares, just trying to protect the new people that might read this thread.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Hi Ron, I do know what a QRBP is, but as of the time that I write this, MountainDevel54 has yet to correct his title or of " QRPB " . It baffles me how how he could give me a definition to something different than what he wrote.

The P and B are reversed, but in his prof reading he must have missed it. Oh Well, who cares, just trying to protect the new people that might read this thread.
Well, one thing is for sure true, my breech plug whatever it is called, is better than it was when it left the factory, thanks to your help.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quality Really Pretty Bad?

Sorry, that's a cheap shot. The one Wolf I handled when helping a club member sight in his new gun struck me as well made and impressed me with its accuracy.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you post a link for where you can get that Western Powder breech plug for a CVA Wolf?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

The breech plug Western Powders designed for CVA will not be available until this summer.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have high praise for the Wolf, IMO is a good basic BP gun. I have a 05 version, at that time they were called by BPI not CVA, " Beertooth Magnums ". As you know BPI is/or was the owner of CVA, they were sold as a separate division of BPI. In the coarse of 3 years I also shot that gun over 1500 times with REALs (both 250 and 320s)and Maxi Balls, 60 to 80 Gr of Pyrodex and a very small quantity of AP. Every 400 primers I had to replace the Breech Plug because of Flame cutting in the primer seat.

The "Beertooth magnum"/ Wolf is what lead me to the Breech Plugs / Rifles I hunt with and shoot today. I still have the carcass of that rifle. The hammer has fallen on over 4000 Small pistol primers since it's original run of 209s. It is now what I refer to as my version of a Rook Rifle.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, i forgot to mention, there is nothing quick about the Wolf BP lol. i can uninstall & reinstall the BP on my Triumph 3 times before one can even remove the wolf BP. granted it doesn't need a tool. but it isn't quick either. Ray
Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Oh, i forgot to mention, there is nothing quick about the Wolf BP lol. i can uninstall & reinstall the BP on my Triumph 3 times before one can even remove the wolf BP. granted it doesn't need a tool. but it isn't quick either. Ray
So, it should be called the SRBP instead?

In my experience, the SRBP makes a better seal with the barrel than the Speed Breech does. Each plug is individually fitted to the rifle it is to be used in. There is zero blow by around the end of the plug. The Speed Breech allows a little blow by that gets stopped by the o-ring.

The o-ring has been replaced on my Speed Breech, because the first one failed. The compression rings on my Speed Breech were damaged by me whilst cleaning. This resulted in my having to fabricate a tool to install my Speed Breech. My SRBP has been installed and removed effortlessly each and every time.

When using BH209, my SRBP requires no grease or tape or.............. Whereas the Speed Breech does work better if one uses grease, which i don't use. I do use oil on the compression rings.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

the blackhorn plugs will be out in june.

If you can spin out a QRBP in less than 10 seconds, you need to use a breech plug thread brush and clean out all the cotton that can build up in the threads and cause it to become a bit stiffer to install smoothly.