Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Question for all you Powder Experts

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default A Question for all you Powder Experts

I'm sure someone has done the leg work on this one. I'm almost out of my Pyrodex and bear season is next weekend. I don't know if i'll have enough powder for the season. I do have alot of GOEX that i plan to use in my flintlock. My thinking was to just start shooting Goex in all my sidelocks. So here is my questions. How bad or not all is my gun going to be for sighting in if i switch to Goex? Its already to go for Pyro but how is Goex going to mess that up? Does Goex compare to Pyro? If it came down to it I would just buy another 1lb of Pyro and call it safe. So whats your guys opinion?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd try 10 more gr of Goex to equal Pyro. You can play with the load to get the same POA.

Are they both 2F or 3F?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Muley. The Pyrodex RS will have a little more omph than GOEX FFFg, but not so much as to require more than an minor sight adjustment or load adjustment. I wouldn't be surprised if you get better groups with the GOEX.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I'm using FFG
Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe a little slower yet (not much). But still in the ball game.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think goex ff or fff is one of the most consistent powders you can shoot but you will have to shoot it before you know how it will shoot in your rifle.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

goex will be shotting a little lower then pyro but should be on paper steel with just a little adjustment needed good luck on your bear hunting
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

While a lot of people tout the downfalls of different powders.. IMO Goex is one of the best powders out there. It ignites great, is very consistent, the fouling is soft, and the price is normally better then other powders. I would sure give Goex FFg a try. Start out with the same powder charge as you would Pyrodex RS. Then shoot the same projectile that you had good luck with. From there, build your load. You will probably have to go up in powder charge a little, but I think you will find great accuracy with Goex. Also the idea of fouling is while true, never a problem when I shoot it. I've shot 20 rounds without swabbing when shooting Goex. Your rifle will tell you when to swab. Also you might feel better that Goex actually has a lower flash point then any other powder out there (by Goex I mean black powders). This means better ignition.

If the Goex does not work out, you can always go back to Pyrodex RS which is again.. a great powder.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im betting that Goex will shoot just as well or better than Pyro.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will work fine. I use a 5 gr adjustment from 55 gr of P pyrodex to Goex 60 gr FFF and with the 54 I use 110 gr of RS and adjust to 120gr of Goex FF to get the same point of impact. While different guns will vary some I doubt it will be much. Some group better with one some with the other the only way to fined that out is to shoot both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.