Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Question for all you Powder Experts

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll see little difference in POI...I sometimes use Pyrodex R-S in my inline when WalMart sells it for 7-10 bucks a pound...I use the same charge with Goex, but I use FFF because I use this for my flinters...

My inline load is 80grs FFF Goex and a .430 Hornady XTP inside a Harvester sabot...

My round ball load for my .54 is also 80grs FFF Goex...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You'll see little difference in POI...I sometimes use Pyrodex R-S in my inline when WalMart sells it for 7-10 bucks a pound...I use the same charge with Goex, but I use FFF because I use this for my flinters...

My inline load is 80grs FFF Goex and a .430 Hornady XTP inside a Harvester sabot...

My round ball load for my .54 is also 80grs FFF Goex...
There will be a difference in POI. There's about 10gr difference between 2F and 3F. You compared Pyro 2f to Goex 3F.

If he uses 2F for both Pyro and Goex. He'll have to increase the Goex about 10gr.

Say what you will. Too many tests have proven that Pyro has more power than Goex.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me and the gun was good to go with Pyro and season was next weekend I am buying another # of Pyro and not messing with figuring out Goex until I had more time.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
If it was me and the gun was good to go with Pyro and season was next weekend I am buying another # of Pyro and not messing with figuring out Goex until I had more time.
+1 .Why start over now. Wait til after the season. Leave it the way it is and just relax til opening day> Good luck

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah thats what I was thinking. But I may have time to shoot all day on Sunday. So i could mess around, but I dont know. Thanks for all the info. Atleast It gives me a starting point for this summer. I just figure If I'm buying Goex for my flintlock I might as well buy it for all my sidelocks. No one carries it here and I have to order it from Powder Inc. So its cheaper the more I buy. If I can figure out what I would shoot in a year and just make a larger order every winter.