Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug ?

Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Breech Plug ?

With all the talk about breech plugs as it relates to shooting Bh what are the factory specs for each given company. In another post I asked Grouse what mods Knight has done.. and his answer "They opened up the flame channel, and are using a .031 flash hole". So what are the flash channels in CVA's,T/C's etc. And if a .031 flash hole is best why doesn't everyone follow suit? Or does other factors come into play.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is what i have learned about breech plugs and BH.

The size of the flash hole isn't critical.

The size of the flame channel isn't critical.

A plug that looks like the Accura plug isn't the best.

A plug that looks like the Omega plug is the best.

The plug on the right will be frustrating if one uses BH; the other three will make one happy.

Here are two more plugs that are sure to make a BH shooter happy.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 04-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
With all the talk about breech plugs as it relates to shooting Bh what are the factory specs for each given company. In another post I asked Grouse what mods Knight has done.. and his answer "They opened up the flame channel, and are using a .031 flash hole". So what are the flash channels in CVA's,T/C's etc. And if a .031 flash hole is best why doesn't everyone follow suit? Or does other factors come into play.
I would midly disagree with a lot of what Ron has written in his repsonse but the key word in his response it critical... while those thing may not be critical they certainly can be a functional problem given time.

I, like Ron, have spent one heck of a lot of time re-working breech plugs for optimum reliabilty with all powders not just BH... BH is kinda unique because of the hard carbon deposits it can leave inside the breech plugs flash channel.

If you have the time because it is very long... work through the thread at the top of topic list... 'what makes a great breech plug' All the arguments and thoughts have been discussed in it.

I think in that thread you will find all the measurements you are looking for.

If you can not find what you might be looking for let me-us know again but rather re-hash the whole thing again you might look up there.

mike
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously the breech plug design was originated by Lehigh. A few members on this board helped Lehigh design the ultimate breech plug for all powders.

After the testing was done, Lehigh sold alot of them. And i do mean alot of them to Knight rifle owners. We then sent the breech plugs to Knight Rifles when we heard they were going to have new owners. They did alot of testing with them as well.

So now Knight is selling those same conversions and also making the new Mountaineer come standard with a plug very similar. In time people will improve.

At the Shot show, T/C talked with Lehigh about some stuff. Dave told them sorry, i'm building and making parts for Knight Rifles. I think in time, you will see better designed plugs for T/C and CVA.

They all no, they need to make some changes. The truth is, T/C and CVA are having major issues with BH209. I believe both are working on new designs right now.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Western Powders philosophy is to put the powder closest to the flame. That is why they like the Omega Plug. Not many go to the range and fire off 50 rounds at a time which is almost a whole bottle of Blackhorn 209. Their main concern is igniting the powder and if one follows their cleaning method using an Omega plug it will fire when the time comes. I have like I have said before not had any issues with the Omega plug or Ron's grade 8 style Omega plugs for my Encore Bergara barrel. Everyone has their own opinion. One needs to just test his guns and if problems arise then correct them accordingly. Do I trust a stock CVA plug to hunt with? Noway! Do I trust my .45 Omega plug to hunt with? Yes. Ron's modified plugs? You betcha!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

I also have Ron's modified plug in my Accura V1 and trust it 100% to fire BH209 when I need it.
Sabotloader is too quick to be critical of Ron's plugs. It is a good thing they are friends or a major argument could take over the thread LOL.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Obviously the breech plug design was originated by Lehigh. A few members on this board helped Lehigh design the ultimate breech plug for all powders.

After the testing was done, Lehigh sold alot of them. And i do mean alot of them to Knight rifle owners. We then sent the breech plugs to Knight Rifles when we heard they were going to have new owners. They did alot of testing with them as well.

So now Knight is selling those same conversions and also making the new Mountaineer come standard with a plug very similar. In time people will improve.

At the Shot show, T/C talked with Lehigh about some stuff. Dave told them sorry, i'm building and making parts for Knight Rifles. I think in time, you will see better designed plugs for T/C and CVA.

They all no, they need to make some changes. The truth is, T/C and CVA are having major issues with BH209. I believe both are working on new designs right now.
First time i've read this. What are the major issues TC is having?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rogo
I also have Ron's modified plug in my Accura V1 and trust it 100% to fire BH209 when I need it.
Sabotloader is too quick to be critical of Ron's plugs. It is a good thing they are friends or a major argument could take over the thread LOL.
I really do not mean to be critical of Ron's plugs, vent liners, or anything else he does. I just believe there is more than one way to achieve the goal.

Westrn has one job - sale BH so they are only look at one objective get it to ignite, but it is my belief that there additional things that one should be dealing with to get the most out of the powder and the gun.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Mike.... I followed the other Breech plug thread from start to finish and it seems the more I read the more confused I get. I am a hunter so the 50 shot string means nothing to me. The outing I had with my prohunter using BH ignition wasn't an issue. It seems to me that theres more than one way to mod a plug and as in life its hard to get people to agree on anything. It's nice to hear Lehigh Dave is in demand. On both of my orders with Lehigh you can just tell what a good business he runs.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike.... I followed the other Breech plug thread from start to finish and it seems the more I read the more confused I get. I am a hunter so the 50 shot string means nothing to me. The outing I had with my prohunter using BH ignition wasn't an issue. It seems to me that theres more than one way to mod a plug and as in life its hard to get people to agree on anything. It's nice to hear Lehigh Dave is in demand. On both of my orders with Lehigh you can just tell what a good business he runs.
If you have no problems and you are confident with your Muzzleloader then dont change a thing. Why worry about nothing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.