Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug ?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
First time i've read this. What are the major issues TC is having?
I'm just talking about BH209 in there muzzleloaders. More so in the QR plugs.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Mike.... I followed the other Breech plug thread from start to finish and it seems the more I read the more confused I get. I am a hunter so the 50 shot string means nothing to me.
When you put it that way - I would have to agree 50 shots mean nothing. But there are some plugs that will begin hang firing in 8-10 shots. That would bother me a bit. I do a lot of target shooting also, not mear as much as others but when i am doing that I really do not even want to deal with a BP problem.

The outing I had with my prohunter using BH ignition wasn't an issue. It seems to me that theres more than one way to mod a plug and as in life its hard to get people to agree on anything.
Isn't that the truth... my BP campaign started insearch of a way to reduce the blow-back mess in the breech area, was not even really concerned aboput igniting BH but it all worked around to that as I found as I modified the plug to reduce pressure on the nose of the primer it also provided better ignition of BH. In that same search it lead me away from Western's recommendation of having the powder sitting on the nose of the primer, in effect making a shell casing out of the breech plug. Ignition of BH or any other pwder has never been a problem for me even with T7 primers once the plug can breath. Many will tell you there is nothing wrong with the Speed Breech shooting BH and really there isn't if you do the maintenance and look how long that plug is. What it did do was reduce the blow back pressure felt on the nose of the primer and the amount of blow back into the breech even though the headspace is not perfect with all primers.

It's nice to hear Lehigh Dave is in demand. On both of my orders with Lehigh you can just tell what a good business he runs.
The biggest thing I can say about Dave is demand for excellence... when he (we) screwed up on the Gen I plug - he refunded eveyone their money had them keep the original plug and then sent them a new Gen II plug - I thought he was nuts but that is the kind of responsibility he has about the quality of his work.

Pro Hunter, which breech plug does that have? Is it a Omega style or Speed Breech?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Mike its the 90* turn speed breech. Tom...I don't really worry about the little things in life let alone if BH will ignite. My point being.... for me my gun during the season would be cleaned after every outing if fired. Just a topic for me that I feel makes for a good read and if we can learn something even better.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I'm just talking about BH209 in there muzzleloaders. More so in the QR plugs.
More so for sure. The Omega BP has no issues that I can see so far.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jaybez101099
Mike its the 90* turn speed breech. Tom...I don't really worry about the little things in life let alone if BH will ignite.
I don't blame you a bit. 777 will do everything BH can do.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I don't blame you a bit. 777 will do everything BH can do.
It can do more. It gives you a crud ring.