Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Try With the .50 Hawken

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another Try With the .50 Hawken

Last week I reported on my rather disappointing range session with the .50 GM/LRH/TC Hawken ("Can't Shoot For SQUAT").

This morning I decided to give it another try, and stuck with one load for the entire range session.

300 grain .452 Speer Deep Curl
Harvester long black sabot (H5045SB)
85 grains GOEX FFFg
Remington #11 caps

After putting a target out at 50 yards I took five shots and got this.

That's not great, but better than anything in my last session. I can tell you - after shot #2 I was PUMPED. But #3 soon deflated me.

Feeling a little encouraged I put a fresh target out at 75 yards. The first shot hit the very bottom left hand corner of the target. THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT - I must have screwed up big time. Took another shot and didn't even hit paper.

Now I know somethings wrong, and it's not me. Started inspecting the gun.

1. Wedge pin good and tight.
2. Tang good and tight.
3. Rear sight good and tight.
4. Front sight g. . . Uh-Oh!

When I barely touched the front sight it slid an eight of an inch to the right. Went to pull it back into position and it came completely out of the left side of the dove tail.

Walked back to my camp and got my little hammer and brass drift pin from the shooting box. Tapped the front and rear of the dove tail wings down a bit, and reinstalled the sight. It took firm taps of the hammer to get it in place. GOOD!

OK, back to the 50 yard line. Took five shots at a fresh target and got this.

NOW WE'RE IN BUSINESS!!!

Smiling now - put a target at 75 yards and took five more shots.

That's acceptable. Gotta try 100 yards. Five shots later I had this one.

Well, I would have been happier with three inches, but three and three-quarters at 100 yards isn't too bad with iron sights (at least for me ). I'm sure the gun can do it, and I can too on some days. That shot to the right was probably my fault.

I kinda have the feeling the two shots in the bull represent the gun's ability, and the other shots represent my ability . This gun and load may be my Opening Day partner next season.

Last edited by Semisane; 04-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Super!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Shooting!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Last week I reported on my rather disappointing range session with the .50 GM/LRH/TC Hawken ("Can't Shoot For SQUAT").

This morning I decided to give it another try, and stuck with one load for the entire range session.

300 grain .452 Speer Deep Curl
Harvester long black sabot (H5045SB)
85 grains GOEX FFFg
Remington #11 caps

After putting a target out at 50 yards I took five shots and got this.

That's not great, but better than anything in my last session. I can tell you - after shot #2 I was PUMPED. But #3 soon deflated me.

Feeling a little encouraged I put a fresh target out at 75 yards. The first shot hit the very bottom left hand corner of the target. THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT - I must have screwed up big time. Took another shot and didn't even hit paper.

Now I know somethings wrong, and it's not me. Started inspecting the gun.

1. Wedge pin good and tight.
2. Tang good and tight.
3. Rear sight good and tight.
4. Front sight g. . . Uh-Oh!

When I barely touched the front sight it slid an eight of an inch to the right. Went to pull it back into position and it came completely out of the left side of the dove tail.

Walked back to my camp and got my little hammer and brass drift pin from the shooting box. Tapped the front and rear of the dove tail wings down a bit, and reinstalled the sight. It took firm taps of the hammer to get it in place. GOOD!

OK, back to the 50 yard line. Took five shots at a fresh target and got this.

NOW WE'RE IN BUSINESS!!!

Smiling now - put a target at 75 yards and took five more shots.

That's acceptable. Gotta try 100 yards. Five shots later I had this one.

Well, I would have been happier with three inches, but three and three-quarters isn't too bad for me with iron sights. I'm sure the gun can do it, and I can on some days. That shot to the right was probably my fault.

This gun and load may be my Opening Day partner next season.
Looking good SEMI. that bullet likes to be pushed hard. Ray
Old 04-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looking good, this also shows why it's so dang hard to help someone that's having problems...Some things you've just got to find yourselves...
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oops! Something I wanted to mention, but forgot.

Notice the two groups on that 75 yard target - three shots nice and tight together above the bull, and two in the bull, also together? The front sight is a red fiber optic. The clouds were scudding across the sky during the entire session. For shots when the sun was out that front sight was glowing like mad, but when there were clouds across the sun the sight was a soft glow. Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping track of the conditions for each shot (wish I had). But I suspect that was a factor in the two different impact points.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

The front sight is a red fiber optic. The clouds were scudding across the sky during the entire session. For shots when the sun was out that front sight was glowing like mad, but when there were clouds across the sun the sight was a soft glow.
You know that is something I really never thought about before, that really could make some difference. I just throw the gun up and take what i get... never even thought to see how much lighting conditions, especially with open sights, could effect the shot.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm jealous lol, i wanted to shoot today but had to start gettin the hen house ready for the 12 buff orpington chicks my lady bought and work on the garden. good shooting SEMI! Ray
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's so nice of you builder, taking care of those orphan chickens.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's so nice of you builder, taking care of those orphan chickens.
Semi, seeing those little chicks now, it's hard to believe they will weigh between 7and 12 pounds full grown lol. we wanted egg/meat chickens. still need to build there nesting boxes thinkin about buying some weiner pigs also!!! Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.