Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Try With the .50 Hawken

Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane
I tried those glowing sights too. I had trouble with the POI changing with the time of day and with the fact that I use the edges of sights to get a tight group the edge of those sights are always a blur to me. Also they are to big, which makes it difficult to be precise.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Dominant Buck

You guys worried about gardens and such.. we got four inches of snow last night and its still snowing hard. We worry about gardens in June.

there is my garden ... along that edge of the yard. Under that foot of snow.

I personally dislike fiber optic sights. I know you can see them well in bad light. And for close range shooting they are fine. Like where I hunt in the woods. Late afternoon, shadows all around, and deer in heavy cover, the fiber optic sight is a life saver. But on a range with good light, give me a good metal front sight and sometimes I put a small white dot on the back end of the bead, then I can do some shooting. I like the old buck horn style sight.. but that is some good shooting there Semisane.

On Traditional rifles, it would surprise people how often the sights come loose. Good thing you caught that. I know that rifle you have is a shooter. That is some good shooting there.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

My tomato and pepper plants are a foot high. But I was sweating walking to the hundred yard target on Sunday in eighty-two degrees and high humidity.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

that photo was taken this morning... I do have tomato plants. I have 72 of them in the house getting big. And I grow them all winter in pots in the house. I have to have fresh tomatoes...

I saw on the weather channel your weather. Amazing...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have done well Grasshopper. A little trick with the fiber optic sight. Put a dab of whiteout or white fingernail polish on it. I prefer the Revlon white polish. It's all I use. A thin coat will stop that annoying blur us old timers get with them and still make it bright enough to see.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good idea Bronko.

But like a dumb @$$, I've been missing the obvious solution. The three Sinful Sister Renegades all have nice iron sights. All I have to do is swap one out with the Hawken.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought the Renes had the square partridge style sights?
But as long as you are going to switch them out you might want to do what I did with my Hawken sights. Again the white fingernail polish. (I have to keep using it ever since my wife found it in my truck!)
On the rear sight I mask an inverted triangle (point up) right to the center of the "U" and then I paint the front sight with the white polish. Works great even in low light.
Hint, Don't make the triangle too wide on the bottom. Maybe only about 1/16".
Old 04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

That bead sight with the brass insert is what Green Mountain uses on their TC replacement barrels that have a slow twist for balls. They use the fiber optic on the LRH barrels.

I do like the square partridge style sight that TC put on the Renegades, and thought I had one somewhere around here. Can't find it though. That one GM uses is a pretty good sight and wil be better for me than the FO.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

good shotting semisane its not always the shotter good to see you have it fixed
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by cayugad
You guys worried about gardens and such.. we got four inches of snow last night and its still snowing hard. We worry about gardens in June.

I promise to never complain about my weather here in old Virginia! I could go nuts putting up with that kind of nasty stuff.

Amazing how times changes things. When we were kids we prayed for that white stuff.