Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Scope--Fancy Reticle

Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Love that reticle. Thanks for sharing that, i need to send a scope out to get it changed to that. I hate the circle on the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks a lot like the one in the burris BDC scopes. very simple and uncluttered design. Ray
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Semisane
Ron, in my (very limited) experience with Montana X-Treme I found I could not get any consistency at all with the first shot from a clean barrel. I stopped using it because of that because I hunt on a clean bore and want to know where that first shot will go.
Thats why i like the UBC. No oiling after you finish cleaning the bore free of fouling.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Semi,
Did you patch the bore dry before firing the first shot after storing with Montana X-Treme? I patch it dry and try to remember to snap a primer before loading. I have forgot to swab and snap a patch and the 1st shot was very close to the next two.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you patch the bore dry before firing the first shot after storing with Montana X-Treme?
Can't say whether I did that or not Omega45. It's been over a year since I played around with X-Treme - and again, it was a very limited trial. All I recall for sure is I didn't get the first shot results I like. In a hunting situation I don't even pop a cap. The bore is squeaky clean and dry and stays loaded until I shoot at something or the season ends. The gun is sighted in for that clean bore shot.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

I do know it only takes a few drops of Montana Extreme on a patch to run through the bore. A little goes along way. I found if I use too much bore conditioner it really seeps down into the plug. I now apply it sparsely with the BP out then put the plug in. I snap a primer just to make sure the BP is clear of any oil from storage and I like my bore a little fouled for the first shot. I do understand your point in shooting off a clean barrel. It all boils down to what one finds that works well.