Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

260 PT Gold's giving me a headache!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Default 260 PT Gold's giving me a headache!

Thanks to my niece she passed a bug on to me and made me sicker than a dog for a day. Today though i felt better and wanted to take advantage of the chilly 80* windless day. I loaded up my nephews CVA Wolf with 110gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and took my shooting bag out to 100 yards.

This Wolf will need a tighter fitting sabot though as i expected. But i wasn't worried about the group, i had just filled up a 5 gallon bucket with damp sand earlier and so i wanted to recover a few bullets.

That didn't go as planned either!

I took my Two shots at 100 yards and was flabbergasted when no bullets were in the sand. I DID find one of them " pictured" on the ground aprox. 4 feet behind my sand bucket. The second bullet i found was mangled up under some sand stone rocks but even that held 212 grains out of 260grs.

Recovered bullet pictured weighs 224 grains and has a little bit of the polly tip still smeared into the lead.

To be honest, I don't know how much more testing i will do with these bullets as they have been giving me a complete head ache in trying to recover them. Im pretty impressed though with the recovered bullets from today, but still would like to do a wet news paper test.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Thanks to my niece she passed a bug on to me and made me sicker than a dog for a day. Today though i felt better and wanted to take advantage of the chilly 80* windless day. I loaded up my nephews CVA Wolf with 110gr Blackhorn209, CCI 209 Magnum primers and took my shooting bag out to 100 yards.

This Wolf will need a tighter fitting sabot though as i expected. But i wasn't worried about the group, i had just filled up a 5 gallon bucket with damp sand earlier and so i wanted to recover a few bullets.

That didn't go as planned either!

I took my Two shots at 100 yards and was flabbergasted when no bullets were in the sand. I DID find one of them " pictured" on the ground aprox. 4 feet behind my sand bucket. The second bullet i found was mangled up under some sand stone rocks but even that held 212 grains out of 260grs.

Recovered bullet pictured weighs 224 grains and has a little bit of the polly tip still smeared into the lead.

To be honest, I don't know how much more testing i will do with these bullets as they have been giving me a complete head ache in trying to recover them. Im pretty impressed though with the recovered bullets from today, but still would like to do a wet news paper test.
Jon, they look pretty darn good to me, can you imagine trying to recover a 300 gr PT, with the energy it carries downrange lol. like PB's IMHO a 50yd test would be a lot better gauge. Ray
Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Banned

doh!! my 3rd shot was a 50 yard shot lol. i was unable to recover that bullet in the 5 gallon sand bucket.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Just so I have this straight, the bullet penetrated the 5 gallon bucket of sand??? If so, that is a very good sign of the bullets integrity.

I had complete pass throughs on 5 deer with PT golds, but all of them were shot behind the shoulder when the deer was broadside or very close to broadside.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

doh!! my 3rd shot was a 50 yard shot lol. i was unable to recover that bullet in the 5 gallon sand bucket.
Well put something behind it! geezz, you youngsters!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

oh bite me!

I really am surprised how these things are just blowing through my sand buckets, even at 50 yards you'd think there would be a chance at catching them.

Time to double up on the 5 gallon buckets i guess.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

That should work. Just remember - put one behind the other, not on top of the other.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Well i caught 2 more just by adding a 1" layer of wet news paper on the rear portion of the bucket!

I'll have to take pics later tomorrow and then i will post them.

The Wolf is all dialed in now!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That should work. Just remember - put one behind the other, not on top of the other.
Semi, another comment that caused me to spit out my coffee! STOPPPPPP!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh bite me!

I really am surprised how these things are just blowing through my sand buckets, even at 50 yards you'd think there would be a chance at catching them.

I think it may have something to do with the bullet being harder than pure lead and the fact it's copper jacket is plated to the bullet. Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.