Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ballistic Reticle

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use and like the BDC scopes, but mostly for long range target with steel knock downs or gongs. When you actually shoot out to 250 yds it gives you a bit different perspective. If you do not shoot over 150 yds and use a good load tuned to be accurate at that distance say a bullet with a BC of 2 or better @ 2000 FPS and use the PBR system of sighting then the BDC scopes are not needed.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight LRH with a Leupold scope on top. The Leupold has the B&C reticle(which is a BDC reticle). And I really like it. I shoot my rifle alot when huntnig ground hogs. And just fun shooting. I really like the way the reticle works.

The reticle can be adjusted for any trajectory. Heck my scope was orignally designed for a 30-06. You just have to shoot the rifle and scope, and learn your trajectory. There are no short cuts here.

I like mine because it allows me to hold dead on at 100 or 150 or 200 or 250 or anything I want to shoot. When I get back out this spring I am hoping to extend that range even a bit more. But as I said I like to ground hog hunt with my MZ's. About 225 is as far as I feel 100% confident in my Knight right now for deer. But I can hold dead on him with my Leupold, and know with 100% confidence where the bullet is going. No second guessing on distance. No hold over or hold under. Just hold dead in the boiler room and pull the trigger.

They work if you do the work at the range. But if you are not willing to put in the range time then they are worthless. Tom.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

all of my scopes are BDC reticules, and I practice long range shooting every time I go to the range. I figure that the better I am at the long stuff makes me better at the closer ranges. But then it all just really amounts to getting in the trigger time.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT DOA 250 on my Accura. Using 110gr BH209 with a Scorpion PT Gold 260gr bullet with CR sabot fired by a Fiocchi 616 209 primer I am sighted 1" high at 100 yards. At 150, 200 and 250 yards the reticles fall right in line perfectly. The bullet hits 2" high at 150, dead on at 200 and about 2 1/2 low at 250 yards. I am still trying to do better with a Barnes T-EZ bullet but the scope does what it is supposed to do for me.