Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KDElite in the Rock Pit

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default KDElite in the Rock Pit

It started out to be a great day here, so the go shooting bug was really biting... I finished my home duties about noon and the weather looked fine. I decided to go shoot.... Chose not to go to the farm as the fields would have been a muddy quag-meyer... Headed to the Rock Pit.

GM54-120 and I had completed a trade that garnered me a big bunch of Nosler Sporting Handgun 40-200 grain HP's and some TAC-XT 40-185 grain Modified bullets. When I first looked at the Nosler's i was really impressed by the looks, feel, and finish of the bullet. My first thought was wow! these look way better than the Hornady 40-200 XTP. I really wanted to see how well they shot.

Grabbed my gear and the Knight DISC Elite and headed to the rock pit... Like I said it was beautiful here in Moscow and as I went east past Troy - it started to look a little more gloomy. But, I was in motion so I kept going.

Got to the rock pit and got things set up... the weather was holding but... and that is one thing about northern Idaho, if you wait a minute here - the weather will change!

So anyway... got all the gear out and set up a target shooting range....

I did set a target out along with the clay pigeons and I had planned on shooting the target first... but those bird were really calling loudly. So I decided they had to go first so I could concentrate on the target... Good decision on my part....
After the setup of the range... I got the gear out of the truck and got my work bench set up. An old wool Army blanket laid out on the tailgate makes a great working surface.... Got everything out and loaded up the first Nosler....

Picked out the first of a group of 3 birds and decided the higher one had to go first as was up the rock wall higher and might get away. Set the Knight in the front rest and the rear bag and took aim on the higher bird. Since this gun is sighted in with a 6" Point Blank Range... everything @ 100 yard has to sit on top of the crosshair... the infamous 6 o'clock hold. Here is a couple of pictures that try to show what the bird looked like...

Finished working the birds over and by that time... the weather was getting more overcast and the wind was coming up... but not to worry the birds or the hearts on 9 big game animals were blown up and the wall was clear on any other big game animals....

Time was running out though - I was sure the rain was coming so I got right to shooting the target.... Decided again to go with the Noslers first. I loaded up the first of what planned to be a 3 shot group... held the orange ball on top of the crosshair and touched it off.... I like that shot! Loaded the second and began feeling light rain drops. So quickly got that shot off and decided to go right to the modified TAC-XT's.

I am still not sure what this bullet is or was... Scott had sent a small sample of them in the trade stock... We will have to get him to explain what they are and what modification to the nose (hollow point) that he made....

But by dang! those bullets shot very well; both the Nosler's and the TAC's. After the second shot with the TAC - it really was time to get packed up - I was going get wet shortly.

Scott... the MMP's worked perfectly with both bullets.... The sharp edges on the heel of the Noslers did not present a problem in the MMP.

Here is the target....

This target shooting will be continued at a later date... I really like both bullets.

One more thing.... indexing; someone?? a long time ago mentioned indexing when loading the sabot. Since that time I have followed that advice and index every sabot I load... with a petal placed in the bore directly above the ram rod. The the sabot and projectile are pushed down the bore with a thumb.

One last thing - I did shoot T7 and I wanted to show the patches that I used for all the shots I took today in the rock pit. There really is no need for a new windex patch for each and every shot....

Also look at the spent primers.... the Lehigh BP Conversion is awesome and not only are the primers clean but so is the breech... Wish the conversion would leave the bore that clean...
A shooting day is always a great day - even if it rains a bit...

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader,

That looks like a good day to me. I too love shooting clay birds. Much more fun to shoot than just paper. Those .45s sure are intriguing...

I too index my sabots. I don't know if it actually makes a difference but it at least makes me feel like I'm doing something productive. I've tried indexing them two different ways but ended up settling on the right hand method.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Very informative post. I know how the Barnes 155gr TAC's are modified but I will let GM54-120 explain his method.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn good shooting there. now i really want a .45 lol ..Ray
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some great shooting, and it looks like a lot of fun. Glad you got to get out and shoot.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice sabot.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Really enjoyed that report Sabotloader. I wonder how those Noslers would do in a hunting situation. Torture test anyone?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Really enjoyed that report Sabotloader. I wonder how those Noslers would do in a hunting situation. Torture test anyone?
I am thinking about heading the the Strychnine Gravel pile where my favorite 'clay' water bare is - just to do that very thing.....

Hope I can get there early next week....

+ I want to find out or as in the game Horse I need to prove my target to myself or did I just get lucky???? maybe I was 'feeling lucky' today...
Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting Sabot. I really like that thole stock, looks good!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

Is there a reason you decided to index as the picture on the right? What did you find to make you feel it might be better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.