Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open sight day with CVA Optima

Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

Truglo ghost ring rear sight and the truglo globe front sight. field of view is excellent and i dont have a problem with anything covering up my target. I sight in with the very tip of my front fiber optic so i can see exactly where that bullet will go. Im not used to the ghost ring rear sight yet but i figured ive given myself plenty of time to practice and get everything burned into memory.

No issues with glare on the front sight. The hood is adjustable so you can control how bright the front fiber optic gets. I really like that, especially in bright sun shooting you can just adjust the hood to where you need the lighting.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The problem with open sights is at distance the front sight covers too much of the target. Even a peep doesn't help that.

I've filed down my front sight on my Renegade and Hawken to paper thin, but it's still hard to have the accuracy of thin cross hairs on a scope.
Muley, that's why you use the 6:00 hold, the very top leading edge of the front sight is the impact point.allows you to see exactly where the bullets going to impact.works like a charm. once you get used to it. Ray
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I just changed my application to ML season. I guess I need to get back to open sights.

I don't trust the weather being good at the altitude I want to hunt. It should be fine for the early ML season. Plus I don't like a lot of hunters around me.

6 o'clock hold it what i've used for years. It still has a limit beyond 100yds for my eyes. I need to get a peep sight.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have that Tru Glo set up also and I love it. Besides being adjustable, the front sight is the thinnest blade I've seen. I think it's a great set-up.
Good shooting by the way.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have that Tru Glo set up also and I love it. Besides being adjustable, the front sight is the thinnest blade I've seen. I think it's a great set-up.
Good shooting by the way.
Can you move the rear sight back further closer to your eye. the way most peep sights are mounted.Ray
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Well, I just changed my application to ML season. I guess I need to get back to open sights.

I don't trust the weather being good at the altitude I want to hunt. It should be fine for the early ML season. Plus I don't like a lot of hunters around me.

6 o'clock hold it what i've used for years. It still has a limit beyond 100yds for my eyes. I need to get a peep sight.
Sounds like you need some eye wear young man.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm beyond eye wear. I need new eyes.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by builder459
Can you move the rear sight back further closer to your eye. the way most peep sights are mounted.Ray
if i got some longer screws that fit the scope mount holes i could bring it back more.