Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally. It's a Tradition(s) at the range.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally. It's a Tradition(s) at the range.

I went to the range today to give the Traditions Pursuit a little play. I wanted to burn up the rest of the Pyrodex pellets I had so I could switch to loose Pyrodex. Plus, I've only shot it once since I got it. I took some loose Pyrodex with me. But how could I change anything? I felt that 2 pellets were doing too well. It looks like I might have to pick up some more PELLETS.

50 yards. With mostly 245 grain Aerotip Powerbelts. The one shot to the left was with a Traditions APB 275 grain bullet and supplied sabot.
So I moved right out to 100 yards for this target. Still shooting Powerbelts.
The 250gr. Shockwaves loaded too tight. No good. 100 yards. They seem to shoot OK though.
So I switched to the T/C Mag Express Sabots 240 grain XTP. I had to pack it up after that group.
But first I wanted to check the open sights, 50 yards with open sights. Using the see thru scope mount. 2 inch group. That's all 5 targets that I shot at today people. Not too bad for a rifle that never gets any play.

Last edited by pluckit; 03-31-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time you take it out if you get the chance try the 250gr shockwaves with a Harvester black cr sabot.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm really not a sabot kind of guy. But after today I think that's going to change. I have to order a multitude of different sabots I guess.The T/C Mag Express I shot today are pretty cheap. Only $9.99 for a pack of 20 for that pack.

Last edited by pluckit; 03-22-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's some good shooting Pluckit, and a great 100 yard group with the XTP's. It's great to have found a good basic load like that. Even if you never find anything better you've already got an fine hunting load.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

A reason for loose powder. At different times over the last year there have been comments about pellets and the fact that they have a weight variation bigger than volume thrown powder this is true of Pyrodex and 777 pellets. This has turned up periodically. A tip on bullets purchased with sabots, when the sabot does not fit the bullet to the barrel so that you get a good shooting fit then you buy a different sabot that is thinner or thicker as is needed. The Shock Waves come with MMP HPH 24 sabots which is an excellent sabot if it fits your gun if they load to hard I would try a Crush Rib from Harvester. Just a few thoughts on your post.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Good shooting. Since you know the Traditions likes the XTP's it will be cheap to buy the components seperately. A box of 100 XTP's will run you less than 25.00. You just need to figure out which sabot you need. A pack of Harvester crushed ribs and a pack of their smooths for under 300gr bullets should do the trick for finding what sabot works well in your gun.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting. While I like loose powder as well, I have a Genesis made by Remington/Traditions and it loves two pellets. Just super accurate with them.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on some good shooting.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you all. I was really pleased at how well the Pursuit was shooting. The next time I take it to the range I want to adjust the scope and try to put that 100 yard group a little closer to, or in, the bulls eye.

Last edited by pluckit; 03-24-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
That's some good shooting Pluckit, and a great 100 yard group with the XTP's. It's great to have found a good basic load like that. Even if you never find anything better you've already got an fine hunting load.
Thanks, I think that's probably the limit of my shooting capabilities with this particular rifle without having the trigger worked on or getting a better gun rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.