Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

3rd time with Renegade

Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default 3rd time with Renegade

Well today was too nice not to go to the range. The last time I was out I had the .54 sighted in for 50 yards. I deceided to try 100 yards. Needless to say it wasn't pretty. So I moved the target down to 75 yards. It just wasn't my day to shoot at first. I was all over place. Finally I settled down and started to shoot consistently. So I put out a fresh target at 100 yards. My first three shots were in the 1.5 inch group. The hole in the bullseye looks like two shots but it was only one. The other five shots blew the group to 3 inches. I know that part of it is me. Its hard to see the target and line up the crosshairs with only a 1x scope. Was able to collect two round balls. The one that is still somewhat round was at 75 yards and the one that is flat was 100 yards. So I really think I can get a 1 inch group with this 1:60 twist GM barrel just going to take some practice. I'm only using 80 grains, so maybe an increase will shrink the groups. Also I wanted to see if I could clean the barrel using TC 17 cleaning products instead of hot water. It took alittle longer but I got the barrel clean. That patch was the last dry patch I took to it. So I think I'm going to forgo the water mess and use the TC17 products. Right now I'm shooting Pyro, but at some point I want to see what GOEX does. I just wonder if that is going to change how I clean the barrel? What do you guys think? Is Pyro and GOEX bout the same cleaning wise? Also how many of you guys use cleaning solvents on sidelock?
Attached Thumbnails 3rd time with Renegade-cimg1833.jpg   3rd time with Renegade-cimg1832.jpg   3rd time with Renegade-cimg1831.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goex will have a little more fouling, but it's not bad. Cleans right out with soapy water.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's mighty fine 100 yard round ball shooting 50Cal.

I dont think you'll notice a whole lot of difference in cleaning GOEX vs. Pyrodex. I'm a soap and water guy myself. I pull the nipple and clean out plug and pump the bore with the breech in a container of water. That way I know for sure the flame channel between the nipple and chamber is completely clean.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting, i always used hot soapy water in mine, but if the T 17 works use it.i would try bumping up the powder charge with that .54 and see if you can tighten them up even more...keep at it looking good! Ray
Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

It's a shooter.

Nice group!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting. If you decide to shoot Goex, it will behave pretty much like Pyrodex RS. You're a good shot. I can't shoot that well with my Renegades anymore it seems at 100 yards, unless they have a good scope on them of course.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I know with more practice I can get get me group under a 1.5 inch. The cleaning with TC17 worked out great. I sprayed the foam cleaner and let it soak in the barrel. I cleaned the lock,nipple, and tumbler screw. Then I ran a patch to push out the rest of foam. I did the foam again and let it soak for 20 mins. After that I switched to the blue spray and finished the barrel off. Also to make sure that I didnt miss anything in the flame channel I used Gun Scrubber and sprayed that in. I double check the barrel today and it looks perfect.

Has anyone put Sling Swivels on their Renegade? I just don't how to go about drilling the stock. I'm afraid to crack the stock or not get it centered. Does anyone have any tricks? Or is there something that will work that I dont have to install swivels?

Last edited by 50calty; 03-21-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being a traditional style gun. I didn't want sling swivels.

I use a rawhide sling that just slips over the barrel and stock. Easy on and off.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

50calty,

I used to sling my Rem 870 with a slip fit sling. It was a $10 job which would sinch tight around the barrel and the grip of the stock. It's not the same a real good sling but did the job just fine and when you done, it's gone.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is good shooting with round ball in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.