Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Gold Dots/DeepCurls work best?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't find the 300g Deep Curl bullet that was recovered from the juice jugs, but after a little hunt, managed to find a picture of it. This is the 300g Deep Curl that was shot with the same load from the same distance into them 6 juice jug as the Barnes, Nosler, and 270g Deep Curl.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, that will leave a mark.

I can't say anything bad about a DC, because I haven't tried them. I guess I need to do that, or shut my pie hole.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Ron,

Ok, it does show that water jugs and phone books are not a good indication of what a bullet will look like in an animal. I have to admit the DC may look better in an animal, because I know the Barnes does.

I'll use this example that i'm sure FG has posted here. This is what sold my on the Thors.
For what it might be worth... for you folks in Colorado I really do believe the Thor might be the best available lighter weight bullet for that country. Here in Idaho I am stuck with the full bore conical rule - so for me during ML season it is a .503-460 grain Bull Shop - which aint a bad projectile at all... If you could not shoot a Thor - then it would be my next choice in a heart beat....
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
For what it might be worth... for you folks in Colorado I really do believe the Thor might be the best available lighter weight bullet for that country. Here in Idaho I am stuck with the full bore conical rule - so for me during ML season it is a .503-460 grain Bull Shop - which aint a bad projectile at all... If you could not shoot a Thor - then it would be my next choice in a heart beat....
I'm confused. We both have the same law for ML season. Full bore conicals.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm confused. We both have the same law for ML season. Full bore conicals.
We do both have the same basic rule(s)

We have to shoot a full bore and it must be all lead...
We can not use primers at all - must be cap or flint lock
We must have an open breech - so the Omega is out
We must use loose powder - no pellets
Old 03-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
We do both have the same basic rule(s)

We have to shoot a full bore and it must be all lead...
We can not use primers at all - must be cap or flint lock
We must have an open breech - so the Omega is out
We must use loose powder - no pellets
I wish Colorado was like that. I'd love a more primitive season, and I wouldn't have to worry about some yahoo shooting at an animal i'm stalking from 300 yds away.

I'd be content to hunt my Hawken/Renegade for the rest of my life with a PRB and BP. No crud ring and $.20 a shot. I'd love it.