Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Gold Dots/DeepCurls work best?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Looking at that DC. I'd say the Barnes would do more damage.
I would totally agree on marginal shoots that the Barnes offerings or any other premium bullet could provide addition insurance for a succesful harvest. I am not sure about the more damage statement and myself I do not want more damage, I want instant system shock to the animal to shut the animal down.

But in the case of price, the Speer Gold Dot/Deep Curl might be the bullet that would achieve close to same benefits at about half the price or if you were to go to the .40/180 grain Gold Dot/Deep Curl (for deer class animals) maybe even a 1/3 of the price. Yet with any of the Gold Dit/Deep Curls have a bonded copper/lead bullet that will stay together in most difficult situation while offering controlled expansion for deeper penetration (will not pancake in the normal hunting situation)

These Gold Dot/Deep Curls were tested and recovered from the worst conditions. They were shot with a hunting load into a wet clay soil water bar in a road and the dug back out to see thier condition. The soil medium is a much more difficult medium for a bullet to stay together in than a normal big game harvest.

YES! I believe the Barnes, Nosler, and the Lehigh would have done the same thing and survived equally as well, but I would have to think a little bit about shooting a buck a bullet into dirt....
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looking at that DC. I'd say the Barnes would do more damage.
For a lead plated bullet, the DC is pretty darn close in toughness.at half the price..
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you guys miss what i'm talking about. The Barnes doesn't flatten out like the DC. It's petals are exposed more. They are razor sharp. With the bullet spinning they cut going through the flesh. The rear of the bullet stays intact to penetrate all the way through.

So, you have spinning razor blades that drive through the animal to destroy flesh and exit leaving a huge blood trail.

A bullet that squashes down into a blob can't do that kind of damage.

An added benefit is no lead in an animal i'm going to eat.

A little extra cost is well worth it.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you guys miss what i'm talking about. The Barnes doesn't flatten out like the DC. It's petals are exposed more. They are razor sharp. With the bullet spinning they cut going through the flesh. The rear of the bullet stays intact to penetrate all the way through.

So, you have spinning razor blades that drive through the animal to destroy flesh and exit leaving a huge blood trail.

Again as i stated, real close for 1/2 the price.and i am not or never have been worried about a little lead. it's a non issue as far as any health concern.the only area where the Barnes really out shines the gold dot, is major bones hits. for most hunting situations the gold dot is a excellent bullet.Ray
Old 03-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're all different, and have different needs for bullets. I've already stated that the Omega is just my deer/elk rifle. Two animals. Two bullets. Even if the bullets were $10 ea. I can handle $20 a year.

I have no experience with the Gold Dot. It might be a great bullet. It might also shoot lousy in my gun. So far. Sabots haven't shot well in my gun.

i'm happy that the Thors work for me. Terry is a nice guy and has bent over backwards to help me get a bullet to work in my gun. He's a small operation and I like supporting him.

Plus I can shoot the ML season here in Colorado if I want with the Thor. I know the Thors are expensive, but I believe in them and will continue to push them. Hunting bullet expense shouldn't be an issue if they're just used for hunting. With some imagination a plinking bullet can be used with your hunting bullet with minimum change to the gun.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We're all different, and have different needs for bullets. I've already stated that the Omega is just my deer/elk rifle. Two animals. Two bullets. Even if the bullets were $10 ea. I can handle $20 a year.

I have no experience with the Gold Dot. It might be a great bullet. It might also shoot lousy in my gun. So far. Sabots haven't shot well in my gun.

i'm happy that the Thors work for me. Terry is a nice guy and has bent over backwards to help me get a bullet to work in my gun. He's a small operation and I like supporting him.

Plus I can shoot the ML season here in Colorado if I want with the Thor. I know the Thors are expensive, but I believe in them and will continue to push them. Hunting bullet expense shouldn't be an issue if they're just used for hunting. With some imagination a plinking bullet can be used with your hunting bullet with minimum change to the gun.
Shoot away my friend. the bullet you chose is a excellent one indeed.but there are others that fit different peoples individual needs, that do a great job also.. Ray
Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you look at the recovered bullet that Ron shows - there really is not much difference in the size of the expansion and it cut equally well. My expanded bullets were shot in non-relalistic medium... it was ment to destroy and or separate them they didn't and even retained a good deal of their weight...

Pretty tough to discuss anything on that point... and now you know why the do-gooders are trying to get rid of all lead in bullets.... but past history really does not show a lead poisining problem from game harvest.

Agreed... that is why I now use the Lehigh only becuase it adds extra insurance to a quick humane shot in a marginal condition.

Great! that is what really counts...

Very good points and I totally agree, I choose to do the same thing you are suggesting here but in my case I use a Lehigh sabotless in my MK-85 and somebody else will choose something completely different - nothing wrong with that...

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-20-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bullet far left it 300g Deep Curl, next is 270g Deep Curl, next is 290g Barnes TEZ, and far right is 300g Nosler Partition. They are all recovered after being shot at the 6 juice jugs filled with water. They were all shot from the same rifle at the same distance with the same load. The Nosler is the only one that knocked over all 6 jugs, and the bundle of phone books.

Oops, i just realized the 300g Deep Curl is one i recovered from jugs blasted at 200 yard.

Please note that the Deep Curl bullets did not 'squash down into a blob'.

In the picture below, which was taken on November 18, 2010, the 300g Deep Curl dropped the deer on the spot, hitting no bone, except for rib. The in and out holes are 2". There was no blood trail.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 03-20-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

Wow! Ron pictures are always so good and positive!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron,

Ok, it does show that water jugs and phone books are not a good indication of what a bullet will look like in an animal. I have to admit the DC may look better in an animal, because I know the Barnes does.

I'll use this example that i'm sure FG has posted here. This is what sold my on the Thors.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powergui...-ballistic-tip

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 03-20-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.