Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New APP - Super Powder

Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sqezer
sabot, I'll check it out tomorrow and post it, then I'll weigh out 100gr. and see how it checks out with the volume measure set at 100gr.. I'll also see if the larger chunks will ignite by themselves also. Still learning how to navigate around the computer. 37 years of driving trucks and now trying to learn how to run a computer is a whole new game. If you can receive pictures on your phone I'll send you a picture. I sent one of my wife's .380 in pink, don't know if you got it or not.
a 'pink' rifle? there is no justice left in this world....

Sent you a pm...
Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Its the JSG version in the Gold jug, I did notice when I would roll the jug a little bit that it did appear to have some dust also. It has a dull gray color to it also.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its the JSG version in the Gold jug, I did notice when I would roll the jug a little bit that it did appear to have some dust also. It has a dull gray color to it also.
Thats odd, the new jug of JSG is black mostly. The old jug was white with some gold and black on the label. The new one looked mostly black IF it is correct.

This is supposed to be the new one. Does it look like this?

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

GM, that is what I just picked up today, black bottle with Gold lettering just like you are showing.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

GM, that is what I just picked up today, black bottle with Gold lettering just like you are showing.
Ok thank you, i wanted to know if the pics ive seen are correct or misprints. A few sites are still using pics of the old containers.

To anyone that thinks "new fangled" stuff doesn't extend your limits. Lets test that idea deep in a remote grizzly bear area and the only way to supply meat/protection is a rifle for a month or two. You get a tent, a knife/axe, the clothes on your back and your choice of ML, 30 projectiles, primers/caps and a pound powder. Plus a few cooking utensils and enough water.

You gunna choose a PRB shooter and BP or something that gives you a little edge? Something you can reload faster, Something that requires a little less up keep. Something with a little more range and knock down at that longer range.

I think when it comes to survival the tune of the buckskinners will change enough to help insure their survival.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Tell that to the guys who are shooting at 1,000 yards with BPCR cartridge rifles. Or with a Gibbs rifle shooting black powder. They only shoot black powder. If it is good enough for them. Then it should certainly be good enough to shoot to 200 or so yards with in lines?? Or am I wrong about that?? I am just not sure what limits it extends?? Tom.
Yeah, you're wrong. First off BPCR is cartridge. Much more efficient than PRB. Second, they're shooting at paper and holding a ridiculous amount of holdover at 1000yds. Hardly something you'd hunt.

I said the PRB has it's limits, and it does. A 100yd shot with a PBR should be your limit for small white tails. A big muley or elk should be closer.

A modern ML will kill at 200 yds safely.

It's not so much the black powder, because you can load it up heavy. It's the PRB that's inefficient.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Someone said that BH 209 has 10% of the market.

Someone else said real BP has 80% of the market.

Wouldn't that mean that BH 209 has 50% of the BP sub market?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

A modern ML will kill at 200 yds safely.
I will not argue about PRB's. But there is no saboted bullet on the market that will compete with a 400 or 500 grain conical out of a 50 caliber rifle. And at distances way past 200 yards. That is what I was referring to when I was talkng about BPCR shooting. However my front stuffer shoots a 525 grain bullet that I cast. And I can guarantee you that bullet is substantially more effective on deer at 200 yards over any saboted bullet choice you can find, or is available. You just have to know how to shoot them. And when you shoot at distances past 150 yards you can not use bullet drop as a major difference. Because both heavy conicals and saboted bullets need to know the proper range for good shot placement. Yes the saboted bullet may be a bit flatter to 200 yards, but it is not as effective as that heavy conical. And BP will shove that heavy conical with no problem at all.

That is the only point I was trying to make. I don't think there is any magic powder. I think it is all in the shooter. And I also really do not think there is alot of difference between a heavy conical in a front stuffer, and a heavy conical in a 45-70 BPCR. If you know your rifle, your load, and you have the ability. I have seen too many people shoot long range with both rigs. And in both rigs they are shooting big heavy conicals. Not saboted bullets. Just an opinion.

Join the LRML forum. If you already haven't. And listen to those guys talk about long range shooting. You will not believe what some of those guys can do. And they are doing it with BP. Not some new fangled powders. An they are shooting heavy conicals. And few are shooting in lines. Tom.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120

To anyone that thinks "new fangled" stuff doesn't extend your limits. Lets test that idea deep in a remote grizzly bear area and the only way to supply meat/protection is a rifle for a month or two. You get a tent, a knife/axe, the clothes on your back and your choice of ML, 30 projectiles, primers/caps and a pound powder. Plus a few cooking utensils and enough water.

You gunna choose a PRB shooter and BP or something that gives you a little edge? Something you can reload faster, Something that requires a little less up keep. Something with a little more range and knock down at that longer range.

I think when it comes to survival the tune of the buckskinners will change enough to help insure their survival.
In this scenario I would choose a rifle with a fast twist barrel. Whether it is a sidelock or inline would not matter. For powder it would be genuine black powder because nothing has more reliable ignition when my life depends upon it. Primers would be either RWS or Remington #11 caps which have a little more umph than some of the others. The projectiles would be slip fit lead conicals somewhere around 500 grains. There is not time to pound down a saboted bullet in this situation and the conicals are effective at both long and short range.

Last edited by flounder33; 03-20-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Tell that to the guys who are shooting at 1,000 yards with BPCR cartridge rifles. Or with a Gibbs rifle shooting black powder. They only shoot black powder. If it is good enough for them. Then it should certainly be good enough to shoot to 200 or so yards with in lines?? Or am I wrong about that?? I am just not sure what limits it extends?? Tom.
"They only shoot black powder.??? I don't know who "they" are but I shoot triple 7 in my Gibbs, and I know others who use triple 7 also. A lot of Gibbs shooters might use blackpowder but definitely not everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.