Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New APP - Super Powder

Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
BP and a PRB is fine, but it has it's limits. The new stuff extends those limits.

Tell that to the guys who are shooting at 1,000 yards with BPCR cartridge rifles. Or with a Gibbs rifle shooting black powder. They only shoot black powder. If it is good enough for them. Then it should certainly be good enough to shoot to 200 or so yards with in lines?? Or am I wrong about that?? I am just not sure what limits it extends?? Tom.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
DuPont made a "smokeless" BP sub before any of us were shooting. Did you ever wonder where it went or who bought DuPont's rights to those products?

Alliant bought them eventually.
GM, i firmly believe it lol.after thinking on it awhile i retract my 10% statement about hodgsons also.if they had bought up BH 209 with there influence and marketing power that figure would probably be much higher.i think the repackaging and "timing" IMR (777) (white) pellets was a clear attempt to gain back some of what they lost to BH209.dismissing or buying up products that may or may not compete with yours is quite common and no company likes not making the right decision or losing 10% of any market.. Ray
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
i actually do feel BH is taking more than just a small share.it's the talk on every board and endorsed by many influential people in the M/L inline rifle world.

I don't think that is the case. I think alot of us guys on these forums are the cutting edge of shooting, and our sport. But I doubt if half or more of the day in day out MZ hunters have ever even heard of the stuff. Yes we as the cutting edge know all about the newest item. But for the average MZ hunter they normally have 1# of powder last them for 5 or 6 years or more. Heck if I told the guys I hunted with that I was considering paying $25 for 10 ounces of powder when they bought a pound of black powder two years ago for $13 they would think I was nuts. I can hear them now. "Are you nuts".

And heck a large majority of MZ shooters are traditional shooters. And you can't even mention sub. powders on their forums. They will throw you off the forum.

These new fangled powders are just that. New fangled marketing tools to get us to spend just a little more money on another item that we really did not need. I really believe that. How often does something come along that is really a game changer?? I have shot most of the subs. And none performed to my satisfaction. Tom.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I did buy a jug of it just to see what it looks like, well it looks more like 3f than 2f, but it also has a few larger pieces like 2f mixed in, then it also has a lot of white stuff mixed in with it. Tomorrow I'll check and see if the white stuff will ignite by itself.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
I don't think that is the case. I think alot of us guys on these forums are the cutting edge of shooting, and our sport. But I doubt if half or more of the day in day out MZ hunters have ever even heard of the stuff. Yes we as the cutting edge know all about the newest item. But for the average MZ hunter they normally have 1# of powder last them for 5 or 6 years or more. Heck if I told the guys I hunted with that I was considering paying $25 for 10 ounces of powder when they bought a pound of black powder two years ago for $13 they would think I was nuts. I can hear them now. "Are you nuts".

And heck a large majority of MZ shooters are traditional shooters. And you can't even mention sub. powders on their forums. They will throw you off the forum.

These new fangled powders are just that. New fangled marketing tools to get us to spend just a little more money on another item that we really did not need. I really believe that. How often does something come along that is really a game changer?? I have shot most of the subs. And none performed to my satisfaction. Tom.
Lol tom i hear you loud and clear.the problem is, higher velocities and cleaner shooting powder is attractive to a lot of people in this sport.i personally am not into the tactical high dollar shooting thing, but a whole lot of people are and spend huge amounts of money on it..to each there own.i have no problem with anyone who shoots real BP. i choose not to, although i do pyrodex. heck i can't get real BP here locally lol. ray
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by sqezer
Yep, I did buy a jug of it just to see what it looks like, well it looks more like 3f than 2f, but it also has a few larger pieces like 2f mixed in, then it also has a lot of white stuff mixed in with it. Tomorrow I'll check and see if the white stuff will ignite by itself.
Hey sqezer,

Can you get a picture of the powder granuals posted?

Does it smell like Brown Sugar? actually is there any smell when you open the bottle?

I am wondering if the larger particles are a type of filler to get it to meter correctly....

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
Shoot it, shoot it lol. i am really curious to see how it performs..i suppose the 3 f size is a good thing, considering what the old APP 2f stuff looked like. Ray
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Gm54-120

I had no ideal... i was heavily into centerfires and reloading in the 50's-60's.... Did not know it even existed... I guess smokeless BP sub is not a new thought afterall.
It actually started much earlier 1890s and RW's date is a bit off. I think production actually ended in about 1937 for that powder by Dupont. Others may have bought the rights and sold it too. Dupont actually bought the rights from another company that sold theirs under the name "Infallible" and they had many grades including various BP replacement applications. Ballistite <sp> was another very early replacement.

Look at modern TrailBoss, its not that much different than BH209 in chemical composition but it could be a disaster if you tried it in a ML because it can spike pressures fast. Its a very bulky flake powder for cowboy action stuff. Solvents that work well for one work well for the other too.

Try this experiment. Weigh some BH209 and then let it soak in water to dissolve whatever it can. Strain it off and dry it out thoroughly and weigh it again. You will likely find it loses 17% of its weight but will still ignite. I wouldn't want to try that in a barrel.

It can be made and far safer than early replacement but when you have a monopoly and nearly no competition, why bother. When they loose another 10%, i bet they wise up a bit more. Nothing "new fangled" about it. The concept and production is over 100 years old.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-19-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

sabot, I'll check it out tomorrow and post it, then I'll weigh out 100gr. and see how it checks out with the volume measure set at 100gr.. I'll also see if the larger chunks will ignite by themselves also. Still learning how to navigate around the computer. 37 years of driving trucks and now trying to learn how to run a computer is a whole new game. If you can receive pictures on your phone I'll send you a picture. I sent one of my wife's .380 in pink, don't know if you got it or not.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

sqezer

Is this the JSG version or the APP version. There is a "Super" version of both but as usual, they claim the JSG version is slightly better. When i compared the older APP to JSG, the JSG was a tiny bit more uniform in size but not shape.

Both had a lot of fine dust on the bottom but so did Pyro.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.