Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bad day at the range

Old 03-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bad day at the range

I was going to test WW conical out of my knight usak and win 45cal apex. when I got there, every bench was full. two opened up. I did not get the one I was wanting. so i had to set up on one bench that i did not like. the table is warped.

started out with the win. apex, 250gr lee reals 80grs of app 3f started out with remingtons primers. first two shots nothing on the paper. tried my knight usak 320gr lee reals 80grs of triple 7 2f win #11's, same thing nothing.

tried the apex again, this time 100grs of app 3f lee improved minie. first two shots on paper to the far right.

back to the knight, one to the far right of the target. next shot nothing. miss.
WTF. is going on come to mind here

back to the lee reals in the apex low left,

back to the the usak with an known sabot set up. 85grs of pyrodex rs and 240gr cheap shot. I sight this rifle in with this set up all the time. MISS.

called it an day.

got home cleaned them up and start running down every possible problem.

checked the scope mounts. one loose screw on the front ring on the win apex. the base mounts on the knight usak (both) where loose.

i really hope that is all the problems. but both scopes on both guns?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. That would make for a bad day. The rear sight on my Hawkins used to come loose all the time. I had to put lock tight on it. I haven't had a problem with a scope coming loose yet.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's enough to make a man lose his cool Corey.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

little cussing under my breath. .

next time it will be better. may have to resight both rifles.