Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Joy Of Still Hunting

Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

In Michigan, what cayugad wrote/typed.
+ many times when it has snowed, then got bitter cold, the crunching underfoot can be heard for a quarter mile. Those are the "watching" the paint dry" days, but can be very productive. I love to still hunt the most, but some times you have to sit. Really enjoy chasing antelope/deer hunting out west, never a dull moment.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, crunchy snow is hard. We get it too. I just move in slow motion.

That's why i'd like to hunt the muzzleloader season. It's early Sept, we rarely have snow.

The problem is it's during the rut and everybody wants it. Getting a bull elk tag for ML season takes points. So, I can only get it every 4 years when I have the points.

The rest of the time i'm in crunchy snow hunting for cows.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always wanted to have the option of still hunting but in almost all of my many years of hunting the terrain where I have lived and hunted never allowed it much.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Banned

Yes, Still Hunting. When done right can be very effective!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, we all get tired FG. A little nap will perk you right up.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yes, Still Hunting. When done right can be very effective!
I have always taken naps when out hunting..this year i taught my 9 year old how to do it lol. we were on a steep slope and i said i was going to relax and take a nap. the boy says how i am sliding. so i proceeded to dig a sopt out with my foot to kkep my backside form sliding down the hill and took a nap lol. woke up about a hour later and he was sound asleep..carrying on the tradition!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Woke up once sitting on the ground with by back against a log and my chin down on my chest. Under the brim of my hat I could see four deer feet about fifteen feet in front of me. Nope, didn't get a shot off and so far as I know that doe is still running.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-22-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
I know that doe is still running.
And laughing.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Woke up once sitting on the ground with by back against a log and my chin down on my chest. Under the brim of my hat I could see four deer feet about fifteen feet in front of me. Nope, didn't get a shot off and so far as I know that doe is still running.
i am a little more cautious when the boys with me. we have a serious Mt lion problem in california..there everywhere! Ray
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

What usually happens to me when i nap, is i start in in a nice warm sunny spot, and then as the sun moves, i end up in the shade. I awake cold and shivering. This napping mostly happened quite a long time ago. These days, what with global warming, it is usually too cold, and snowy in the mountains. One good thing, beins how i am retired, i am more rested when i hunt, so don't so strongly feel the need for a nap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.