Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pointy bullets

Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Mike as i said the one you have read about penciling was the spit fire MZ, which has a real small hollow point, similar to some of there Center fire bullets. the Barnes in the picture above is a expander MZ and the TEZ has about the same hollow point with a poly tip.Barnes web site lists the M/L bullets. also if i am not mistaken GM has a spitfire MZ in his avatar lol.and your so right ,we all have our favorites, i was trying to point out to you that the negative you read was about center fire and the spifire MZ Barnes bullets.people on this forum and others, have taken game out to 175 yds with the expander MZ that you have in the picture you posted with a Lehigh and a Barnes bullet. the MZ is a wicked bullet lol..and gets really wicked long range with the poly tip.. Ray
Ray i am unable to tell you which Barne(s) it was or has been. When reading the different posts I do not remember which bullet they claimed they were shooting. It really did not matter to me so I really never paid any attention. It certaily could be the bullet you are suggesting - I just do not know. If you do a search on this site or even MM you might find the references. I just hate to say it was one specific bullet without knowing. The only thing i remember is the reference to Barnes...

I have no doubt that the Barnes, actually any Barnes, performed very well in the extended range situation, by that time the velocity has dropped and it will do it's work. The only failures that I recall were close range failures to expand on thin skinned whitetail. The bullet is just traveling so fast at the short ranges it litterally does not have time to expand in soft tissue before it is out of the animal and on it's merry way. I would imagine if it contacts a major bone that would be a different story entirely.

I think you could PM Lee and ask him, if I remember correct he is one of the folks that have discussed this happening to him.

I can tell you one thing for sure - it was not me. I have not shot enough of them to know. There was an independent company that did a study on bullet expansion and concluded that the Nosler Partiton expanded at a wider range of velocities than any other 'premium bullet' and yet I can not even remeber that study it was so many years ago.

Big 6x6 on MM could tell you as he has a printed copy of the study if I remember correctly....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ray i am unable to tell you which Barne(s) it was or has been. When reading the different posts I do not remember which bullet they claimed they were shooting. It really did not matter to me so I really never paid any attention. It certaily could be the bullet you are suggesting - I just do not know. If you do a search on this site or even MM you might find the references. I just hate to say it was one specific bullet without knowing. The only thing i remember is the reference to Barnes...

I have no doubt that the Barnes, actually any Barnes, performed very well in the extended range situation, by that time the velocity has dropped and it will do it's work. The only failures that I recall were close range failures to expand on thin skinned whitetail. The bullet is just traveling so fast at the short ranges it litterally does not have time to expand in soft tissue before it is out of the animal and on it's merry way. I would imagine if it contacts a major bone that would be a different story entirely.

I think you could PM Lee and ask him, if I remember correct he is one of the folks that have discussed this happening to him.

I can tell you one thing for sure - it was not me. I have not shot enough of them to know. There was an independent company that did a study on bullet expansion and concluded that the Nosler Partiton expanded at a wider range of velocities than any other 'premium bullet' and yet I can not even remeber that study it was so many years ago.

Big 6x6 on MM could tell you as he has a printed copy of the study if I remember correctly....
If i could get noslers, it would be what i would use. as your aware of they quit making the popular M/L bullets. the Barnes i mentioned will expand on short and long shots. here in california certain area's you can only use non lead bullets and the guys that M/L have complained about the spit fire MZ, the one with the small hollow point not expanding at close range and others that use the Barnes center fire bullets have complained also.. it's all good. Ray
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

www.wideners.com has the 44-250gr, 45-260gr and the 45-300gr Partitions for under $25 a box of 50.

Yep still in stock
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...id=527&dir=278
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...id=528&dir=278
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...id=529&dir=278

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-15-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I will say that I'm a fan of Barnes bullets. I have and will in the future still shoot them. I have killed a number of deer with the TMZ as well as the Knight Red Hot bullet which is the same bullet. I have had great results and not so great results with this bullet. I have shot some medium size whitetails in the 170 lb range and the bullet did not exit and had no blood trail and did not make a good hole going in at about 50-75 yard range. I will say that I have shot some 200 lb deer and the bullet blew through with great internal ballistics. But overall, the bullet is a good bullet. As some of you know, I went on a hog hunt with the Lehigh 275 grainers and I'm not sure I will leave these bullets. They out performed my greatest expectation from 45 to 160 yards on small to very large hogs. I was not a fan of the big hollow points at all until I went to Texas to try them. Just seeing the devastation they did and the way they opened up sold me on them. I will continue shooting them and cannot wait to see what they will do on a deer at 200+ yards because I have confidence in them.
The knight red hot is the Barnes M/L bullet people here in California in the non lead zone have had penciling problems with. which is due to it's very small hollow point.a barnes expander mz with it's gaping hollow point and the TEZ basically same bullet, flat base,poly tipped hollow point are devastating on any animal shot with them at any range.Ray
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been looking around trying to find a decent reliable bullet that's also affordable. I was going to shoot Gold Dots but can't find them locally anywhere. As I said, I would prefer pointy, but I understand that's probably more of a mental thing. I just didn't understand why that general shape of bullet seems to have so many problems in muzzleloaders. I can understand why they would have the penciling problems more than handgun bullets. I don't get why they have the problems they do with the jacket seperating and why they have that problem so much more than handgun bullets do. Oh well. The search continues
Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 AM
Spike

I have shot many deer from 10 to 200 yards with both 45 & 50 cal barnes(tipped & hollow point) and would never shoot anything else. I shoot slugs & handgun ammo w/Barnes and never had a problem with expansion. I wish you luck in finding a better bullet. I hunt in Delaware and their muzzleloading rules are no jacketed ammo.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

My "opinion" is that a larger hollow point styled bullet will open up more readily at most muzzleloading velocities...I also believe that most folk's velocities out of an inline, shooting saboted bullets will run between 1600-1900fps...At these velocities many of us won't shoot past say, 150-200 yards...My personal limit is 150 yards...

Now, those using smokeless or higher powder charges may be running velocities over 2,000fps...They will need a different mindset as to what bullet to use...

Since we are handloading, much thought needs to go into what bullet to use and also what ranges shots usually occur...

As a side note...The guy that invented the Savage smokeless muzzleloader lives in Greensboro, right up the road from me...He shoots the Hornady 300gr XTP .451 and kills deer at ridiculous ranges when he goes down to eastern NC where he does his field testing...He thinks that bullet is an awsome bullet for whitetails...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some Barnes I found on sale several years ago but I'm almost out of them and can't justify paying what they go for normally. Of the XTP's I've shot, I haven't been able to get the accuracy out of them I would like to. Perhaps they'll shoot better out of the Pro Hunter.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have some Barnes I found on sale several years ago but I'm almost out of them and can't justify paying what they go for normally. Of the XTP's I've shot, I haven't been able to get the accuracy out of them I would like to. Perhaps they'll shoot better out of the Pro Hunter.

I do not like the price either but between the performance and they have been, by far, the most accurate and consistant of the many rounds I have tried.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been looking around trying to find a decent reliable bullet that's also affordable. I was going to shoot Gold Dots but can't find them locally anywhere. As I said, I would prefer pointy, but I understand that's probably more of a mental thing. I just didn't understand why that general shape of bullet seems to have so many problems in muzzleloaders. I can understand why they would have the penciling problems more than handgun bullets. I don't get why they have the problems they do with the jacket separating and why they have that problem so much more than handgun bullets do. Oh well. The search continues
Seems Speer can't keep up with demand for there bullets.you can't find the .250 gold dot/ deep curl anywhere? that's a excellent bullet.again it's not the shape, it's the construction that causes problems.if you can't find gold dot/ deep curls you want buy some Barnes Expander MZ bullets.and if you want pointy the TEZ.Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.