Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

90 VS 100gr BH209

Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

The MZ's and the T-EZ's are flat base which makes it easy to switch out the supplied sabot to the black crushed rib if need be. I had a sample pack of the Thors. Never did find one that fit correctly in 2 of my bores.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

PT Golds just showed up. I'll go test them after lunch.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
PT Golds just showed up. I'll go test them after lunch.
Let us know. ray
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, they shot ok, but I don't plan on using them.

Just as I got to the range I got a phone call from the game warden in my area. I had left him a message. He answered some questions I had about tags, and then we got to talking about elk hunting and how I planned to hunt them next season. He gave me some much better ideas and places to hunt. I'll have to change the units I put in for, but it's not too late to do that. The bottom line is I need to hunt the muzzleloading season for it to work.

That means no scope or sabots. So, I have 40 PT Gold 300 gr bullets and CR sabots to sell. I'm going to shoot the Thor 300gr bullets to be legal in Colorado. They shoot really good in my gun.

I shot less than 10 PT Golds. My heart wasn't in it, because I knew I wouldn't be hunting with them. So, I didn't do my best shooting. They were accurate when I tried, and not so accurate when I didn't.

More accurate then the Thors? I don't think so. It's close.

What I do know is the Thors will expand about as good as a bullet can, so I have confidence in it.

I'm going to miss the scope with my crappy eyes. I'll just have to get closer.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Well, they shot ok, but I don't plan on using them.

Just as I got to the range I got a phone call from the game warden in my area. I had left him a message. He answered some questions I had about tags, and then we got to talking about elk hunting and how I planned to hunt them next season. He gave me some much better ideas and places to hunt. I'll have to change the units I put in for, but it's not too late to do that. The bottom line is I need to hunt the muzzleloading season for it to work.

That means no scope or sabots. So, I have 40 PT Gold 300 gr bullets and CR sabots to sell. I'm going to shoot the Thor 300gr bullets to be legal in Colorado. They shoot really good in my gun.

I shot less than 10 PT Golds. My heart wasn't in it, because I knew I wouldn't be hunting with them. So, I didn't do my best shooting. They were accurate when I tried, and not so accurate when I didn't.

More accurate then the Thors? I don't think so. It's close.

What I do know is the Thors will expand about as good as a bullet can, so I have confidence in it.

I'm going to miss the scope with my crappy eyes. I'll just have to get closer.
Pm me. i may buy the 300 Pt's.what you can't use a muzzleloader during rifle season? Ray
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can, but it presents a few problems.

For one the elk can be anywhere according to the weather.

Two..It's very crowded with out of state hunters. They think it's the best time to hunt.

The ML season is early Sept. It would be really rare to get enough snow to drive the elk lower. So, we know know where they are. HIGH! They're also in the rut.

Plus we have less than 1/3 the hunters in ML season.

As an added bonus. I don't have to plow through the snow. High altitude in the Rockies during Sept is beautiful and comfortable.

The first rifle season for a tag that's available to me will be Oct 23. There's no way to predict the weather that time of year. It could be hot or a blizzard.

At my age. I'm taking the safe way. I don't mind hunting at 12,000ft, but I don't want to do it in 3 ft of snow.