Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot Affect Accuracy

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

I never meant it to reflect any thing about anything... Just been around sabots so dang long..... But again the real reason is to prevent that slippage thing...

I still want to find out which MMP you have but I have to get into my supply box in storage...

Did the package from Cabelas give any any indication of HPH Sabot?

There is a way to tell I just have get two of them side by side....

mike
Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
ronlaughlin.................Did the package from Cabelas give any any indication of HPH............... Sabot?mike
No mention on the paperwork about HPH. You are correct, once the bullet/sabot is pushed through the barrel, the bullet doesn't want to walk away.

Just once i would like to be right, but i am always ron.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

Ron,
I think you have shown that different sabots do effect accuracy. Did you notice if the Cabela's ones were harder to load? With the MMP's alot of guys I hear make sure the bullet is firmly seated in the sabot and held in place tightly just as they start to push it in the bore. Might help, might not. I do not see this helping much as when you seat it firmly on the charge it should go down like Sabotloader advised. I have preferred Harvester sabots ever since I started using them about 5yrs ago.

Why does the one on the right look like its sideways in the sabot? It will not let me use the word I wanted to use......****ed

Last edited by Omega45; 03-14-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Omega45
Ron,
I think you have shown that different sabots do effect accuracy. Did you notice if the Cabela's ones were harder to load? With the MMP's alot of guys I hear make sure the bullet is firmly seated in the sabot and held in place tightly just as they start to push it in the bore. Might help, might not. I do not see this helping much as when you seat it firmly on the charge it should go down like Sabotloader advised. I have preferred Harvester sabots ever since I started using them about 5yrs ago.

Why does the one on the right look like its sideways in the sabot? It will not let me use the word I wanted to use......****ed
The MMP were slightly harder to load, which is what i wished for. The reason the bullet is canted over, is because that is what happened when it fell out of the breech, when i pushed it through the barrel as sabotloader suggested.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im pretty sure the Cabelas MMP are from PR if that helps. I thought PR used the HPH sabots but i cant confirm it.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of my shooting and hunting is done with .430 bullets. In my collection of junk is about every .44 caliber sabot ever made. Some of them can't be identified by me. The sabots that were sold buy Knight years ago were good ones. Best one was a short black one that used to come with the XTP bullets from Traditions. Picked up a bunch of them at a gun show last month. They were loose in a zip lock bag.

Years ago i experienced the same thing that Sabotloader speaks about. If the sabot went flying then the shot was a flyer. At that time i was using large (130-150 grain) charges of Pyrodex RS and there were quite a few flyers with a hole burned in the base of the sabot. Not sure who made the sabots.

Been using the crush rib sabot in two of my CVA guns and it works well with
charges of Pinnacle up to 140 grains.

Last edited by falcon; 03-15-2011 at 09:59 AM.