Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Round ball in an Acurra V2?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
`Cause a man's got to play with something Builder. Any you won't go blind playing with patched balls in an in-line.
Ones time would be better spent playing with that! then rounds balls from a fast twist rifle . should have expected you would, since your an ole civil war vet he he!!! Ray
Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by builder459
One can shoot saboted bullets and still shoot cheaply lol. buy some bulk rainer or cheap JHP bullets and sabots and use pyrodex or BP. you can also decrease the load with them..to each there own, just still can't see doing it.. Ray
Because I also shoot a Renegade and a Hawken. I don't have to buy anything to shoot a PRB. No way you can compare any sabot and sub in price to $.15 a round.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Because I also shoot a Renegade and a Hawken. I don't have to buy anything to shoot a PRB. No way you can compare any sabot and sub in price to $.15 a round.
Your right but real close Ray
Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by builder459
Your right but real close Ray
If that's the case. I'll look into some cheap sabots. I didn't know that got that cheap.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

corey casts some 260gr .452"s. They shot great out of my optima. i just ran out of sabots so i havent been able to play with them.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a thought. I'm just looking for a cheap round I can mess around with. Shooting Thors for fun is too expensive.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's a thought. I'm just looking for a cheap round I can mess around with. Shooting Thors for fun is too expensive.
Muley theres all kinds of places on the web that sell cheap lead bullets in bulk. so cheap in fact the only difference between the RB price and them is the sabots. sabots are not that expensive.them Thors / reworked barnes are real expensive. i thought you were shooting the PT golds? there reasonably priced.. i originally shot the Barnes (expensive) been trying same weight Deep curls/ gold dots. if the GD/DC don't give me the long range accuracy i want. i will shoot the same weight DC/GD and hunt with the Barnes, to save money. Ray
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had already ordered the Thors when I decided to try the PT's.

I'm just trying to settle on a good hunting bullet. I've seen a picture of the PT's breaking up real bad in a gel test. It has me worried.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had already ordered the Thors when I decided to try the PT's.

I'm just trying to settle on a good hunting bullet. I've seen a picture of the PT's breaking up real bad in a gel test. It has me worried.
The Max muzzleloader test? i saw that also and it was a .260 gr wasn't it? IMHO the Barnes are the best M/L bullet on the market but pricey. you could shoot Barnes and practice with "cheap" same weight bullets like speers plain jane jacketed bullets for instance. there are others also.the speer gold dot/ deep curls are about the same price as XTP's with excellent terminal performance. another option..i will say the 300 gr gold dot/deep curl shows a lot of long range promise and a lot of members here use the .250 and 300 gr with excellent success.. do a search. just throwing some options out at yah.. Ray
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did do a search. That's what made me order the PT's.

Well, I can always use the PT's to practice, or shoot coyotes. They kill easy. I ordered 50 bullets and sabots.

Terry is sending me some 300 gr Thors. I can save them for hunting big game.

I'm happy I have the gun shooting good. Getting a bullet is the easy part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.