Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Headspace Issues

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega Headspace Issues

The scoped X7 using OEM breech plug has a snug headspace. One can use CCI, CCIm, Federal 209A, and W209 primer, and the spent primer is either near the same length as the unfired primer, or shorter. Of course, bein' it uses the hex head TC breech plug, it never fails to ignite BH. This rifle is the only rifle i own, that uses an unmodified breech plug

The factory sighted X7 has a looser headspace when using the OEM breech plug. In this rifle, W209 primer grow a couple of thousandths, and shorter primers allow quite a bit of blow by. Even though this rifle's headspace was near perfect for using W209 primer, i just couldn't let it be.

The technique of tapping the plug to receive a grade 8 3/8" bolt, was shown to me by Screwbolts. This breech plug is now sized so that it gives a slight crush to the STS primer when used in the peep sighted rifle. Seems, it won't work in the scope sighted rifle, but i haven't tried it to see.

Both breech plugs are showing erosion of their flash holes i.e. the flash hole diameter is now about 0.031". When new they were about 0.029". One day it will be time to install a vent liner in each plug using the technique explained by sabotloader on these forum
Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

that looks real nice,did you compare the two breechplugs length from face to primer shoulder?i've wondered how close the tolerances are on them.....karl
Old 03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

Of all the things you have done, I really find this one quite an interesting inovation.

Question, have you maded the insert adjustable to gun to gun in the series?

Once you have the inset set for the gun and the primer how does it stay in place or will it even move?

Very interesting method and in my little world much better than taking the chance of screwing the firing pin bushing out and off it's seat to accomplish this task.

mike
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

Much more dangerous than adjusting a bushing and a lot more time consuming.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Much more dangerous than adjusting a bushing and a lot more time consuming.
Gees! MD you really do have a problem seeing past your nose.

This really has possibilities for more than just the Omega...
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

its a lot of work and time consuming. Does the Omega have a firing pin bushing? If it did, its be a lot easier to do like Bellm does for The Encores with .001 - .005" Shims. The shims would work on the CVA Line up as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Ron: great work as always!

MD54: you break me up man!

Sabotloader: I am not Ron, but if I may, no he didn't make it adjustable without a lathe/mill :-) That red lock tight is considered permanent. He fit the stud, then turned/cut precisely to length then milled/bored the primer pocket to the exact measurement he needed.

Ken
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Ron's work could only IMO be considered time consuming to some one that doesn't appreciate the art work of making something with ones hands and vision. The vision of ones mind.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

The scoped X7 using OEM breech plug has a snug headspace. One can use CCI, CCIm, Federal 209A, and W209 primer, and the spent primer is either near the same length as the unfired primer, or shorter. Of course, bein' it uses the hex head TC breech plug, it never fails to ignite BH. This rifle is the only rifle i own, that uses an unmodified breech plug

The factory sighted X7 has a looser headspace when using the OEM breech plug. In this rifle, W209 primer grow a couple of thousandths, and shorter primers allow quite a bit of blow by. Even though this rifle's headspace was near perfect for using W209 primer, i just couldn't let it be.

The technique of tapping the plug to receive a grade 8 3/8" bolt, was shown to me by Screwbolts. This breech plug is now sized so that it gives a slight crush to the STS primer when used in the peep sighted rifle. Seems, it won't work in the scope sighted rifle, but i haven't tried it to see.
forum
Could you please explain why there is a difference in breechplug headspace depending on whether you use a scope or a peep? I am having trouble understanding this.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

hubb11/Steve,

I am not Ron, but what he is actually showing you I believe is 2 (two) different rifles, one being scope sighted and the other is equipped with peeps. Two separate guns that have similar stocks but please take notice of the laminate wood patterns of each, they are different.

Sorry Ron, couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Screwbolts; 03-03-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelly is there anything else :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.