Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Headspace Issues

Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Ron: great work as always!

Sabotloader: I am not Ron, but if I may, no he didn't make it adjustable without a lathe/mill :-) That red lock tight is considered permanent. He fit the stud, then turned/cut precisely to length then milled/bored the primer pocket to the exact measurement he needed.

Ken
Yep. that is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. I was pretty sure that was locktite being applied.

The whole project what a decent idea....

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-03-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

It doesn't have anything to do with the scope as it is two different rifles made by the same company and the same model but manufacturing tolerance allow a slight differences in the fit of all parts.

So the one rifle has a greater head space tolerance than the other.

Both of them being safe for the normal consumer.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

What I have found is all mass produced guns are made to +- tolerance, and that includes all parts that when assemble create a gun. This is why one will be just right tight and it's twin will leave you scratching your head.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Screwbolts, thanks. I did notice the two different guns/stocks, but I was unclear on whether the headspace issue was dependent on the different gun or the use of a scope/peep. I asked since I have an X7 myself (only one!) and for the past two seasons I used a scope. Now that I have some confidence in a few different loads, I am going back to the peep sight.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
that looks real nice,did you compare the two breechplugs length from face to primer shoulder?i've wondered how close the tolerances are on them.....karl
What i did was switch breech plugs between the rifles. This showed me the rifles were slightly different. Most OEM breech plugs i have measured, are very very near the exact same.

The critical measurement regarding headspace is the OAL of the plug and primer in the pocket.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Ron's work could only IMO be considered time consuming to some one that doesn't appreciate the art work of making something with ones hands and vision. The vision of ones mind.
Wow!! You say it so much better than i ever could!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Wow!! You say it so much better than i ever could!
Wow! Gosh, Gees , Thanks man.