Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

harry' 460 Conical Test

Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default harry' 460 Conical Test

The Video

harry sent his 460 conical to test in the 5 last available juice jugs. This morning there was little wind, and it was about 25 degrees; a good day for the test. He calculated they should be shot at 1450 fps to have the same energy as all the various 300g bullet had when they were tested. It took 7 bullet to arrive at the desired energy and to find the aim point. The conical at the 1450 fps speed was hitting 2" low on the middle target, which is kinda visible in the picture. The load was a shy 90g of BH.

The unfired bullet weighs 444.3g; the fired bullet weighs 441g. It would have been better to have had 6 jugs for this test. One can see in the pictures, that this bullet hit the phone book stack with quite a lot of energy. The conical penetrated the phone books 2". Only one of the 300g bullets tested knocked down all 6 jugs, the phone book stack, and penetrated into the phone books. The partition penetrated about 1" into the phone books, after penetrating 6 jugs. It seems this conical would have done the same, had it the chance at 6 jugs. The 300g partition, and this conical appear to do similar things on the target; the partition seems to leave more of it's energy in the jugs, however they both send jugs flying, and they both shred jugs, and they both had enough energy left, to knock the phone book stack down.

This concludes bullet testing using these jug; there are no more.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

very surprised that it didnt mushroom better
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
very surprised that it didnt mushroom better
X2 on the mushrooming,also who is Harry? who makes the bullet and was it pure lead? i expected a nice mushroom myself.. thanks Ray
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

also who is Harry?
Builder, Harry is a big ol` hairy chap who lives with the Hendersons. Didn't know he was a bullet caster though.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

The results do not surprise me. I have seen the penetration power of those 460 grain conical bullets. Even as slow speeds, they still have a lot of knock down and penetration power. One reason I guess I like them. Cool video by the way.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
............................who is Harry? who makes the bullet and was it pure lead?
harry mailed me the bullet; he requested i give them a test. I believe he make them. Don't know about pureness of lead, but they were easy to load; they didn't require an overly amount of force to conform to the rifling in my rifle He suggested the bullet here......

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/ph...ic.php?t=19448
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Builder, Harry is a big ol` hairy chap who lives with the Hendersons. Didn't know he was a bullet caster though.

Who is the Henderson's?!?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
The results do not surprise me. I have seen the penetration power of those 460 grain conical bullets. Even as slow speeds, they still have a lot of knock down and penetration power. One reason I guess I like them. Cool video by the way.
See Dave..., I agree with you. There is a question about the why it did not mushroom? It did not hit anything to cause it to mushroom. Water or soft tissue does not cause this design of nose to get a great deal of mushrooming. Conicals like the these are not meant as big mushrooming bullets in the first place, they are built for penetration and making a 'big' hole. The broad 'meplat' of the bullet is designed to hit with a large amount of energy and to create 'hydrostatic' as it passes through the vitals. If the bullet were to hit a good sized bone like the shoulder blade it would have mushroomed more and continued it's way through until it ran out of energy. If this large conical hits nothing but soft tissue you will not see it create a large mushroom effect. A large mushooming effect will loose energy quickly, slowing and stopping penetration.

Bull Shop Dan has always explained it to me that these large lead lead conicals are meant to stay together and create penetration and internal damage and in the venacular of the old true BP guys 'make a big hole' - the animal will go down. He has been insistent that they will not blow-up lead lighter weight lead bullets.

One thing I forgot to add... Ron shot them with 90grs. of Bh avhieving a velocity of 1400+fpd second. The is really hot for them, moving them along a 1450 is a couple of hondred faster than most others shoot them. I shoot them with 90 grains of T-3f @ 1525 fps second which is faster yet - but yet most of the folks tell me i am overshooting them. They shoot these all the time shoot with 70 grains of real black powder, so they might be shooting them @ around 1200 fps and still get great results.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-28-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

they are just a tad pointier than the 360gr lee minies i cast and mine mushroom with only a 90gr charge shot into wet sand.

The bullet above reminds me of when i recover 9mm and 10mm bullets i cast from hard lead.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they are just a tad pointier than the 360gr lee minies i cast and mine mushroom with only a 90gr charge shot into wet sand.
There is a very large difference in density between water and wet sand. Why would you not expect to see more of a roll over of the nose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.