Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

harry' 460 Conical Test

Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that a Lee lead tester ?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Ron, your comparisons are fine. At least as good as you can make them. The last part of this thread is more about the 260gr bullets into sand compared to your 460gr test into a different media and other variables.

Most of us, including yourself understands this difference in expansion and how the bullets performed. Your videos help even more when broke down frame by frame. They help give an idea of how the energy is being transferred.
Ron, I would add - I do not think there ever was a question about your test and the comparisons that you have made. The difference came in the look of the big conical vs. the looks of the jacket bullets and what they should look like. And then a secondary question arose from the lack of mushrooming of the 460 conical.

Shooting the large lead conical into water will not be deform or mushroom the bullet nearly as rapidly as shooting a HP point jacketed bullet or even a jacketed bullet with a tip in it. The flat nosed cone shape nose of the conical has no mechanism in it to cause rapid mushrooming (unless you boost the velocity much more to make the water appear harder or thicker)

If your test was reversed... the wet phone books in front and the jugs in the rear, that bullet would have had a completly different shape to it. The bullet traveling at ???? velocity hitting the wet books would have started the bullet expanding and the surface area of the bullet hitting the water may have continued it a bit more. As it was by the time the bullet got to the phone books it had already lost a lot of energy so its performance in the phone book is exactly what I would expect. It still had push!!! but it did not have the velocity to crush itself.

I have shot a couple of elk and 3 deer with a 460 conical and the effects of the bullet are different in each animal. The thicker damp hide of the elk will cause the conical to begin crushing itself much sooner than the thin skin of a whitetail and in the end the shape of the two bullets is very different. But again I am shooting them at 1500 fps.

Your test proved and shows the that the slow moving heavy conical can and does cause a huge amount of hydrostatic shock and very good penetration without the expansion that you would expect to see from a modern jacketed bullet.

When you look at Cayugads picture it might be a more representative of what a spent conical might look like if the bullet were to contact something semi solid (hide or bone) and then continue pentration. I am quite sure that you would have had a bullet shapped like that had you hit the phone books first and then passed through the water jugs.

Thanks for the testing....
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by corey012778
did not have physics in school. lol

if I remember right, md's shot the 260's with either 80 to 100grs of bh209. be entrusting to see where those chrony at. I don't have an chrony yet.
Corey, you did not need physics in school you have been learning Physics all your life in the things that you do - you just did not know it...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

Coreys bullets were not into damp news paper, not sand.