Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

harry' 460 Conical Test

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i shot coreys wheel weight bullets into wet news paper at 100 yards and they had more mushroom. Its just very interesting that they wouldnt mushroom better than they did.
It is a matter of Physics... which of the two mediums has the greater density?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I can not really see a color... is there a color?........................................
The color of the lube is virtually the same as the color of the bullet. A shade lighter i guess.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

[quote=cayugad;3780169][quote]

Perfect.... and @ 7/8" they can continue to penetrate until they run out of energy...
Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The color of the lube is virtually the same as the color of the bullet. A shade lighter i guess.
Thanks Ron, i appreciate the information. It clears my question up for me...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
It is a matter of Physics... which of the two mediums has the greater density?
I would also expect a sabotted 260gr WW lead bullet moving faster to react in a different manner in different media. Considering his method for checking hardness with a center punch, that might be a variable too. Not all WW lead is the same hardness. Difference in the metaplat <sp> size is another variable. Corey's 260s looked like they did pretty good and that wide metaplat should really transfer some energy.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-01-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I would also expect a sabotted 260gr WW lead bullet moving faster to react in a different manner in different media. Considering his method for checking hardness with a center punch, that might be a variable too. Not all WW lead is the same hardness. Difference in the metaplat <sp> size is another variable. Corey's 260s looked like they did pretty good and that wide metaplat should really transfer some energy.
it is not the best, to many things could go wrong, and has. went to retest everything in the last few days, one of the two springs went soft on me. I am saving pennies now for a better tester lol.

you can push saboted boolits harder then conical. so comparing .452 boolit using an sabot to an full bore, water test to an wet newspaper test. you'll should think you would get two different results.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by corey012778
you can push saboted boolits harder then conical. so comparing .452 boolit using an sabot to an full bore, water test to an wet newspaper test. you'll should think you would get two different results.
Corey, thanks for confirming... Bet you did not know you were using simple physics to come to that conclusion. I reamember I hated Physics in school and an I made a point of telling the teachers, what would you ever use it for in real life???? I hate it when a teacher might be right...
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

did not have physics in school. lol

if I remember right, md's shot the 260's with either 80 to 100grs of bh209. be entrusting to see where those chrony at. I don't have an chrony yet.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not quite sure what is being discussed here. I believe we are saying that using different media to test bullets, will end in different results. I agree; that is obvious. Shooting bullets into phone books, is much harder on any bullet, than shooting them into jugs filled with water.

I hope it is not being inferred that we cannot compare different types of bullets. This final jug test using a conicical instead of a sabot, resulted in what i believe is a valid comparison between bullets. The conical was given what we thought was the same amount of energy as the sabot bullets, when it was sent on it's way, and this resulted in quite a bullet performance. What i didn't realize was the conical did not weigh 460g, and thus actually had less energy than all the other 300g bullets tested.

What happened in these test is, all the 300g bullet, and the concical bullet carried about the same energy into the water jugs, and this allows for a direct comparison of these bullet. This test comparing sabot bullet, and conical bullet was instructive to me, and i believe valid.

The one bullet that got a raw deal here was the 200g SST. It was tested at the same speed as the 300g bullets, and thus carried much less energy into the jugs. I obviously didn't put enough thought into testing this 200g bullet. However, it still managed to convince me to give it a try this next season, on prairie deer.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron, your comparisons are fine. At least as good as you can make them. The last part of this thread is more about the 260gr bullets into sand compared to your 460gr test into a different media and other variables.

Most of us, including yourself understands this difference in expansion and how the bullets performed. Your videos help even more when broke down frame by frame. They help give an idea of how the energy is being transferred.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-02-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.