Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

info on VA elk management and restoration

Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by corey012778
I am in Augusta Co. around 100miles from where the program is stated for. I don't really see the herd staying put. unless it is an it is going to be an TRUE managed area, pretty much an elk farm.
I'm not sure how they'll do it in VA but here in TN, if they roam too far, they capture them and put them back to the WMA's where they were released.

TN started their restoration in 2000, last year there were 4 tags available and as I understand it, they were more symbolic rather than anything.

I hope they're sucessful (in both states) but I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't stress yourself out working on a VA elk load for next year.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't, still going to play with an all that I have on hand. everything for the little 490 177gr to the 459 405gr (not the largest but the heaviest I have right now).

going to be fun,
heading to the range tomorrow with my 45cal and 50cal hawken.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would be amazed if they can pull this off in this economy. I hunt mainly in Bland cty. It seems as tho the trout stocking is at an all time low in this area. Elk will wander into Virginia from other states and you could use a whitetail tag on them if you were lucky enough to see one. I77 runs right through this area and all it would take would be one elk smacking a car and the insurance industry would kill this project.