Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fired The TC Black Diamond Today

Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fired The TC Black Diamond Today

Went to our place in Garvin county today. Took my TC Black Diamond along. Wanted to try 120 grains of 3F Pinnacle with the 240 grain .430 XTP bullet in a crush rib sabot. Had a hard time getting the gun zeroed. Then it sprayed bullets all over the place-3" groups.

Dropped the powder charge back to 100 grains and fired at another target. After the first shot on the new target; i made one scope adjustment for elevation and fired a 1 1/8" three shot group then i quit. Fired 16 shots and never swabbed the bore.

Gun: TC Black Diamond
Scope: 4X Burris Short Mag Scope
Ignition: CCI Musket Caps
Powder: 3F Pinnacle

Last edited by falcon; 02-13-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude. When you go to the range you have to at least post pictures of the target.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My black diamond shot best with lower charges also. I have never used the Pinnacle. That is impressive that you didn't have to swab.
Art
Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Pinnacle is a great powder. I was shooting 3f in my Knight LK-II and shot 12 240 grain XTPs without swabbing. I could have shot more, but ran out of bullets. I personally liked Pinnacle, but it is really hard to find any. Falcon. I heard a rumor that Pinnacle is no longer made. Is that true?

This is my Black Diamond XR load.. 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 250 grain shockwave. With this load and a simple 4x32mm scope I was shooting a dinner plate at 150 yards with little problem, once I learned the hold over.

Falcon were you the one that bedded the barrel on your BD?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

My Black Diamond never did like a powder charge over 110gr. When i bought the rifle back in 1999, i used 100gr. pyrodex pellets and 240gr. T/C Mag Express bullet/sabot with a Federal 209a primer. I never did experiment with loads back then- i really didn't know any better. I was young and inexperienced and didn't know anybody else that shot muzzleloaders lol. Shot with the open fiber optic sights, too- no scope back then. Before i bought the Triumph a couple years ago i was using 110gr. Triple Seven ffg, 250gr. Shockwaves and Winchester Triple 7 primers in the Black Diamond. I was averaging 1 3/4" groups at 100 yds. using a 3-9x40 scope. Good shooting to you all.

Last edited by quake; 01-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
Fired 16 shots and never swabbed the bore.

Gun: TC Black Diamond
Scope: 4X Burris Short Mag Scope
Ignition: CCI Musket Caps
Powder: 3F Pinnacle
I sure can't pull that off using Triple 7 2f, lol!!! FALCON, at what distance were you shooting at the targets?

Last edited by quake; 01-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I heard a rumor that Pinnacle is no longer made. Is that true?
Pinnacle was made by APP. It is hotter than APP or JSG. Pinnacle has not been made since Hodgdon bought out Goex. i bought several cases before it become nearly unavailable. Corey recently posted a link to a powder Co. in Winchester, VA that still has Pinnacle in stock.

FALCON, at what distance were you shooting at the targets?
50 yards.