Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun (soon) - what to do next

Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
How does Flitz compare to JB's? So far I haven't been able to find any JB's locally and I'm not sure I want to pay for shipping on something like that. I still haven't decided if I want to polish the bore, wait until after the first range session and then polish the bore, or just leave it alone.
I can't answer your question to how it compares as i have never used the JB's bore polish. I would imagine it's very similar to the Flitz metal polish that i used on the bore of my Triumph. The reason i bought Flitz is because i found it in my local Mom and Pop gunshop. It doesn't seem like the rifle is easier to clean after applying the Flitz. Accuracy is basically unchanged. The Flitz DID help with my loading problem- before it was just down right unpleasant to load, now it's very tolerable. Superkirby, as i stated before i think using a metal polish on your bore comes down to a personal preference. Some like to use it on every gun they buy before they shoot. Some only use it when they believe they need to(ex. undersize/tight bore, bore imperfections, bore rust). Some people have never used a polish. Nobody is wrong here. -Q
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I think some folks are mixing apples and oranges with this JB and Flitz question. In my mind Flitz is a metal finish polish and JB is a bore cleaning compound and polish.

Now as to the Encore barrel bores, I have had the experience with a number of them and they were all cut very tight. Mine was so tight in the center of the bore, that I sent it back for a tight spot. My understanding is that TC Encore barrels are all made this way. This is why they are so hard to load and some people do a lapping process to open them up some. I can only tell you that I had a hell of a time loading a sabot down my Encore barrel. Once I lapped the bore it got better though. Not that a tight bore is all bad. It does make them a lot more accurate I remember that the other TC inlines having tight bores also.

I would suggest just cleaning it up good and then go to the range and see how she loads and shoots. Then go from there pal. Good luck and don't forget to have a blast shooting it!