Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun (soon) - what to do next

Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Pro Hunter. I just cleaned it really good before I shot it and then went to the range. So far it has shot moa or close to it with just about everything I have put through it except for 1 or 2 different combo's. I settled on the 250gr Barnes TMZ with a yellow cr sabot on top of 105 gr of BH.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
I love my Pro Hunter. I just cleaned it really good before I shot it and then went to the range. So far it has shot moa or close to it with just about everything I have put through it except for 1 or 2 different combo's. I settled on the 250gr Barnes TMZ with a yellow cr sabot on top of 105 gr of BH.
Can't beat a barnes bullet! Ray
Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the resplies guys. I picked up the Pro Hunter this evening. I think I'm really going to like it. I checked out a few others and for the price I got it for I'm quite happy. It's probably going to be a week or two before I get to shoot it unfortunately. I'm going to get some bases and rings picked up for it. Those Durasight ones might be my top choice for the price. Thanks for the link. I still have a $100 gift card to Cabelas so that's going to buy some Gold dots and maybe some more sabots. I may even go nuts and get some BH209 for it. I figure it's still going to be a few weeks before my range is cleared out enough to get out and shoot. I'm excited though.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

SuperKirby, if you dont mind me asking what did you end up paying for your Prohunter tax and all? If i remember correctly in your previous thread you said it was stainless, had the black synthetic stock but did not have the XT breech plug/barrel(Endeavor)? -Q
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks for all the resplies guys. I picked up the Pro Hunter this evening. I think I'm really going to like it. I checked out a few others and for the price I got it for I'm quite happy. It's probably going to be a week or two before I get to shoot it unfortunately. I'm going to get some bases and rings picked up for it. Those Durasight ones might be my top choice for the price. Thanks for the link. I still have a $100 gift card to Cabelas so that's going to buy some Gold dots and maybe some more sabots. I may even go nuts and get some BH209 for it. I figure it's still going to be a few weeks before my range is cleared out enough to get out and shoot. I'm excited though.
I don't think cabelas carries the gold dot/deep curls.. midsouthshooters has the GD/DC and the sabots also. have fun and let us know how it shoots..
Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people like lapping a barrel, and some don't. Put me in the yes category for lapping. Do a search on how to properly lap the barrel and go for it if you want to. I lap all my new rifles. I personally think it makes cleaning the barrel easier after you lap the barrel, and take away any rough edges in a new rifle. Tom.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ended up paying $675 out the door. It is stainless. I know it's not the best deal in the world, but the best around here. I've been watching gunbroker for awhile as well as stores around me and the closest stainless I could fine was about $100 more. I think it will be fun. I just wish some of this snow would melt.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I ended up paying $675 out the door. It is stainless. I know it's not the best deal in the world, but the best around here. I've been watching gunbroker for awhile as well as stores around me and the closest stainless I could fine was about $100 more. I think it will be fun. I just wish some of this snow would melt.
I think you did pretty good on your purchase price, i was at the local Gander Mountain yesterday and they had the same gun priced at 799 BEFORE tax. Gander's prices never usually impress me much. There will always be somebody out there that gets a better deal than you but i promise you there are a lot of people that paid a helluva lot more for the same gun than you did. Good luck and good shooting. -Q
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

HEAD0001

You were talking lapping... just remember JB's is not a true lapping compound.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does Flitz compare to JB's? So far I haven't been able to find any JB's locally and I'm not sure I want to pay for shipping on something like that. I still haven't decided if I want to polish the bore, wait until after the first range session and then polish the bore, or just leave it alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.