Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullet regulations

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee
Didnt know they had catch and release on little red to, thanks for the info. I'm not much of a trout fisherman either, catfish is my favorite, love to eat them flatheads. I do enjoy taking my jet boat up the spring river and fish for walleye and spotted bass.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

SOUTH DAKOTA

Muzzleloading Firearms - In seasons restricted to muzzleloading rifles, only rifles with open sights may be used. Muzzleloading pistols are not legal. Telescopic sights and smokeless powder are not allowed. No person may hunt, shoot, shoot at, wound, kill, or pursue any big game animal with any muzzle loading rifle which is less than .44 caliber.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

gregrn43
Yes, to me it seems with out any common sense involved. They pick stretches of the river and made them catch and release I suppose it has something to do with all of the tourists that have been creating a p.i.a. around here. The also changed the laws year before last to only one pole . I am glad the stretch of the river our cabin is on is not catch and release the Grand kids and the Great Grands would have been very disappointed as they are the ones who use it.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Here it is .45 cal and up, for muzzleloaders. No lead or projectile restrictions. I'm not aware any restrictions on projectile diameter ( using a .40 cal bullet/.50 cal sabot ). There is pending legislation to allow electronic ignition systems on muzzleloaders. ( Don't agree with that ).

Muzzleloader seasons, in my area, have only been around the last ten years, so most hunters will be using modern inline.

Shot for migratory birds must be steel/none lead. This a federal law. All other hunting and licensing reg's are provincial.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Spike

Thanks Sabotloader, I had read that post before, I just didn't connect the dots. Do you put a wad or button patch under the conical? Also has anybody done a bulistics gel test on them to see what the expansion is on the bullet?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Paul Niskanen
Thanks Sabotloader, I had read that post before, I just didn't connect the dots. Do you put a wad or button patch under the conical? Also has anybody done a bulistics gel test on them to see what the expansion is on the bullet?
No I do not use a wad at all. The bullet has a powder cup in the bottom of the bullet that expands to the walls of the bore. The rings (barbs) act somewhat as gas rings and a guidance system holding the bullet square in the bore.

Lehigh Bullets are not expanding bullets... they are designed after design that comes from Europe. The design allows the bullet to penetrate on the entrance side without much expansion and then when it hits the fluid of the internal cavities the petals continue to open as the fluid is pushed in the nose of the bullet. When the petals expand to 40* they break off and spin off into the organs puncturing additional holes in the organs. Because they are so light they can not carry enough energy to go into muscle tissue but they can move a few inches in organ tissue. The body of the bullet and its now sharp nose continues on through the vavity and usually exits on near broadside shots.

Here is a picture of the wound channel in balistic jell...

I have been in the past a Nosler Partition shooter and it is by far a great bullet. I decided to try this bullet a couple of years ago as an alternative to the copper lead bullet, just in case...

The Lehigh bullet, either sabotless or in sabot, certainly has worked for me.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Spike

That is great performance from a bullet. Do you think the Lehigh is more abrasive to the barrel than a lead conical. I would think it would be since it is harder than lead. I was on there site and didn't see any full bore
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is great performance from a bullet. Do you think the Lehigh is more abrasive to the barrel than a lead conical. I would think it would be since it is harder than lead. I was on there site and didn't see any full bore
I honestly don't think it is, remember most of the cleaning loading tools are brass. And brass is a self lubricating metal...

The sabotless bullets are still in the testing stage and right now have slipped to the back burner as other projects have taken priority. That is just my take on the situation....
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Spike

I wonder how hard it would be to cast our own brass bullets. What is the melting point of brass, I think it ia around 1100-1300 isn't it?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder how hard it would be to cast our own brass bullets. What is the melting point of brass, I think it ia around 1100-1300 isn't it?
I do not know a thing about casting any bullets - so know help here... Lehighs are turned on a CNC lathe - that is what makes them so round and smooth... so no wobble and less flight resistance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.