Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Would you buy it?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you buy it?

I decided to forego training my bullets today and went out shopping with the wife. While she was in one of her stores I ran next door to a sporting goods store, where they had a SS Pro Hunter on clearance for $650. It's the last one they have and in a month or so they're only going to carry the weathershield version. Anyway, took a chance and told the wife and she said (to my surprise) it was probably fine if I thought that was a good deal. It's the best I've seen, but also not exactly what I want. On the other hand, to get exactly what I want is going to be at least another 150-200, which I don't know if I can swing. I put it on hold for 48 hours to think about it.
So... should I go get it?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

While I am sure it is a great rifle, are you changing your standards because it is there and you have a green light? I am sure that the rifle would do all you need a rifle to do.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I had a SS Pro Hunter and I could not get it to shoot. No matter what I tried. Some people have good luck with them and some don't. The thing is you could always buy the Endeaver barrel (aka Truimph Breech Plug) for the encore. So you could buy this now and then later down the road sell the Pro Hunter and buy the Endeaver. Encores are always in demand, you could always sell it and break even or make profit. So I would say get it.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take your time and shop a little. My friend saw two on Gun Broker for $550. Brand new. There must have been some type of closeout. Bud's is also discounting them. Gander Mountain is also suppose to have some of them. He is suppose to go to Gander this weekend. If he finds something out I will pass it on. Tom.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

I think you answered your question. You said it is not exactly what you wanted. If I was going to fork out out that amount for a smokepole I would make sure it is what I wanted. Man that is a lot of money for something that you will be forced to like. If what you want costs extra then save for it then at least you get what you really want. You have a big dilema ahead of you that only you can deceide it would really be awful if you bought it and did not like it. I doubt you could sell it for what you paid and you would be out some serious money. Just my 2 cents. God bless your wife for putting that up to you. I have 2 growing kids and an unemployed wife and could never swing that. Good luck in your choice.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I decided to forego training my bullets today and went out shopping with the wife. While she was in one of her stores I ran next door to a sporting goods store, where they had a SS Pro Hunter on clearance for $650. It's the last one they have and in a month or so they're only going to carry the weathershield version. Anyway, took a chance and told the wife and she said (to my surprise) it was probably fine if I thought that was a good deal. It's the best I've seen, but also not exactly what I want. On the other hand, to get exactly what I want is going to be at least another 150-200, which I don't know if I can swing. I put it on hold for 48 hours to think about it.
So... should I go get it?
What is exactly what you want? if the pro hunters not it, wait and save the money and buy the one you truly want..Ray
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you know in your heart it's not really the gun you want, pass on it and start saving your pennies.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what I want is a stainless contender G2 with a muzzleloader barrel and a 7x30 Waters handgun barrel to go with it. Unfortunately I've searched high and low and can't find a stainless muzzleloader barrel. I've found some blued ones and am contemplating that route, but I always worry about not getting a blued barrel clean enough. My only other choice is to go custom on the barrel and I just can't bring myself to $500+ for just a barrel.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too rich for my blood. Give me a 20 or 30 dollar gun to work on any day and I'm plenty happy.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

pass on it. if it is not what you want you will find what you are looking for right after you buy it and then be mad at yourself for not waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.