Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Would you buy it?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's kind of the way I'm leaning, but not totally sure yet.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really like some of the possibilities that the Encore offers but if it doesn't trip your trigger, you will never be totally happy. Ive got one of the best MLs (Savage) according to many reviews/owners but to ME its only above average for MY needs/wants.

Its nothing another $500 wont fix but im not sure it will ever make me as happy as my Knight 45cals do.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a lot of looking around this morning, and a lot of thinking about it while I was out cutting firewood. If I really stop and think about it, the contender appeals more to me for it's handgun capabilities than it does for it's muzzleloader uses. Aside from my GP100, I really haven't shot anything other than a muzzleloader for at least 4 years. The Pro Hunter seems like a much better muzzleloader than does the Contender. My biggest concern witht the Pro Hunter is barrel length for hunting in some of the cover that I do. If I decide that's an issue I can always buy the shorter 20" Katahdin barrel sometime down the road. I think that's probably the route I'll go.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Encore at the moment, Had a contender with 4 barrels for years. The Encore is a stronger frame with many more options. Contenders are fading away, I would consider the Pro-hunter a better and more vestal gun. Still what you want is really the important thing when its your money.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think you know what I would say.

But seriously, you should get what you really want. That is still a lot of money to spend on something you aren't really wanting.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also like the Contenders. And a good Contender IMO has always been slightly more accurate than a good Encore. Not sure why, but that has been my experience. And you are correct, the Contender makes for a better handgun.

There is a forum called "Specialty Pistols". You should go check that out. I have seen a couple of Contender MZ barrels for sale there over the last 30 days or so. They sell a bunch of Contender frames, barrels, stocks, as well as Encore stuff in their classifieds. It is the best place to buy that I have found. Go check it out. You will find the Contender items you are looking for there, if you have a little patience. And you will also probably get a pretty good deal. I bought 3 Contender barrels there last month. Tom.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have been thinking about it quite a bit and I think I'm going to pass on this Pro Hunter for no. It wasn't such a good deal that I'll kick myself if I miss on it. There's a gun show in Minneapolis in mid-March that is supposed to be huge. I'll see what turns up there. It will be at least March before the snow is gone and I go out and shoot again, so I figure it's better to not get in a hurry.