Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Golly! do I have a lot....

Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sabot I would be happy with those rounds at a 100 yards with iron sights, heck, I would be happy just to be able to hit the target at a 100 yards!!
Dang right onetohunt! Guys, that's a four and a quarter inch 10-shot group at 100 yards with iron sights and patched balls. Anyone who thinks that's a bad group should go out and shoot ten shots in a row at 100 yards with iron sights. No cheating now, and post your target.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

But remember it is a peep sight (knida a mini scope) - not a buck horn... In my mind the peep is a lot easier to shoot...

You can see that i cut the 6" Orange Dot in half and held a 6:00 hold on the bottom of the orange... It would have really been nice if I could have seen the black triangle - but i am telling you at 100 the 6" 1/2 orange circle was difficult... it was just a little bigger than a dot on top of the front sight.

When I was shooting, and remember this off a portable fold up bench so I was fairly stable, I only remember 1 shot that I did not feel good about. And I am not even sure that it was the high one at noon on the target.

You mentioned the size of the group, I guess I never measured that - it just looked spread out all over heck.

Since I am not a real round ball shooter, do not shoot them enough or hunt with them, I am pretty much still learning my way through it. I do not know if 70 grains of T7-2f is even enough (1700 fps) to hunt with with if I wanted to - but for Rondy shooting it is like shooting a 22 mag. Which leads to another problem.... the really long targets that they put on the walking course - those are really difficult for me, 1. to guess the range and 2. calculate what might be the drop of the ball.

Which still leaves me with the same deduction...

Need to shoot more balls at the longer ranges
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Peep or not, if you throw out that high one at 12 o'clock the rest are right at three inches. That's a very respectable round ball group at that distance.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

T7 and Blackhorn were both designed for inlines and work best a a higher pressure than the patch will hold up well for and I have not been able to get quite the accuracy that I can with Pyrodex and if you worry about powder prices much the pyrodex is on sale very cheap at some Walmart stores right now.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Ya i know but any Pryro stinks and is way to corrosive for me... If I could get some Swiss I would certainly give that a try but it would be just as hot as T7. If I were hunting with PRB's I would surely goth with GOEX.

This is just a recreation thing - and it gives me something to strive for - i will make T7 work.